Cobra motor swap?

90StangLX

Founding Member
Mar 1, 2000
Illinois
Well, my car has been burning oil for a while now and this summer something is going to be done about it.. I just stumbled upon a built up cobra 5.0, supposedly made 275hp at the rear wheels when it was in a mustang. The owner is asking $1200 which may be negotiable. There's nothing wrong with the engine, it's been torn down and checked out since it was removed from the car. I'm guessing this is a dumb question, but would I be better off to just buy the cobra engine and forget about rebuilding my non-GT40 5.0? Also, if I were to run that cobra engine, would I need to get a cobra computer, or is that unnecessary? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The computer is crap anyway. Keep your current computer but you need to get a Mass Air meter calibrated for 24# injectors.

Is this a true cobra? If so i think 1200 is worht it depending on how rough it is. The thing is after you take the engine out, you still have an entire car to part out. I made $1500 parting out a 1990GT so you can make your money back if you take your time and strip the car after you take what you want off it.

Or you could restore the Cobra....but that depends on how rough it is

i think he is just talking about the motor. I dont think hes talking about the whole car. If he has reciepts and records from whoever built the engine and some dyno slips or something to verify what has been done to the egine and when...then i would say it sounds pretty good...i bet you could walk up to him with 1000 cash and walk away with the motor. good luck man

Yeah, it's just the engine.. I hadn't thought about buying a 24lb-hr MAF sensor, but I still think after buying that it would be cheaper than trying to build up my base 5.0 to that kind of horsepower. Worst case scenario, wouldn't I be able to use my 19lb-hr injectors and MAF sensor with the cobra engine? Or is that a no-no?