Code Reader For 1999 Gt

gdaquilina

Apr 6, 2014
Amherst NY
I have a PATS issue with my 1999 GT (flashing theft light, no start) and would like to try to diagnose the problem using the code intrepretations in the service manual. Which code reader will allow me to access the PATS codes?

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing changed. Car is totally stock, nothing aftermarket, 75,000 miles. Stored for winter since November. Three weeks ago streets were clear and no salt so I wanted to take it out. Crank but no ignition or fuel- fast flashing theft light. Tried other key and all the "tricks" to reset the PATS from former forum threads. All fuses check out OK.

It's a PATs issue. Your car will go into a theft mode. It's usually a bad chip it the key. Same thing happened to my dads car he tried his other key and worked fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tried the other key- no go. I read every PATS post on the forum and know it's PATS issue and tried to narrow it down as much as possible. When it warms up in the garage (currently -7) I'll drop the panels under the steering column to check the transceiver wiring. I think that's that's the last thing I can do before getting a scanner that PATS diagnostic capabilities.

......with the key out of ignition....put key in and turn on but do not start........look at theft light....should be blinking fast.....wait 30 to 45 seconds or until it starts to blink slow or goes out.......turn the key off and remove it from the ignition.........wait 15 seconds....turn key on.....do not start....look at theft light.....should be blinking slow......normal mode.....when wait to start light goes out it should start normal

Last time I tried this the theft light flashed fast for five minutes when I gave up. It does not want to slow down, give a flash code, or go out. Just keeps flashing fast. I found a post on another site that references a self diagnostic cluster mode that is built into the clusters of the 1999 and 2000 stangs. I'll give that a try when it warms up a bit in the garage. The self-diagnostic mode has some of the failute codes for PATS.

Do the scanners that the auto parts stores lend out have Ford specific modules that will read all PATS codes?

Seems like a lot of owners have PATS problems. I'll update as I progress in the diagnosis and hopefully cure. I have until spring when I'll want to hear those ponies again! Just hate the thought of the stang on the hook to the dealer!

I ran the on-board instrument cluster diagnostics and got the diagnostic code dtcd262 which I interprest as "Missing SCP Message" which translates to "missing standard corporate protocol message". Is this indicating that the cluster module is sending a message out but not getting one back from the PCM or is it that the module is not sending out the message? Trying to determine if the error is in the PCM module or the PCM.

Does your cluster show all "---------"? If so, your problem may actually be no power to the PCM. If so, the PATS failure would be expected. However the problem is not PATS per se. It's the lack of power to the PCM.

Thanks. Yes, the OD display is all "--------". I verified that the fuse for the PCM is good but it is too cold in the garage (3 degrees today) to do too much else. Do you have a recommended trace route to determine if the PCM is getting power? The temps tomorrow might reach the 20's, a more workable condition.

I'm assuming that you have checked all of the fuses in the battery junction box (BJB) and central junction box (CJB).

Test CJB Fuse F2.34 for key on power. IF no power suspect a problem with the ignition switch

Test CJB fuse F2.2 and F2.8 for key on power. IF no power suspect BJB fuse or CCRM problem (bad CCRM, bad CCRM ground, or bad battery ground).

Do you have a set of Ford service manuals and wiring diagrams. If interested in getting a set I maybe able to help. PM if interested.