Cold Air Intake Sucked In Water?

AnthraciteStang

Aug 21, 2016
I was driving my car through heavy rain for the first time today and started experiencing loss of power when accelerating and when traveling at low speeds. A few times when I would be completely stopped at a red light and then would go to accelerate my car would begin accelerating as it normally does and then all of a sudden it would sound like it was about to stall and nothing would happen when I pressed the gas pedal down. This only lasted for a few seconds and then my acceleration would go back to normal. The same thing happened a few times when I would be slowing down to come to a stop or when I was traveling at a low speed. When I travel at high speeds my car seems completely normal. After I got home I left the engine running and popped the hood and everything looked fine visually but when I turned the car off it sounded like somebody had taken a full glass of water and dumped it out on the concrete. I looked under the car and there was water dripping out of my cai filter. I removed the intake and there was a very small amount of water inside of it.

Where are the different areas that the water could have gone? What kinds of problems could this have caused? How do I go about removing the water?

Additional Info
-I have no inner fender wells to keep water out on either side of the car because when I purchased the car it had been in an accident and they were removed. Stupidly, I never even thought to replace them.
-2000 3.8L V6

• Sponsors (?)