Cold start noise

Sparty92

Jul 30, 2007
Detroit Burbs
I have a 2007 Mustang GT. And the past couple weeks in the Motor City, it's been under 30 degrees...and as low as 10 (for a high!).

On occasion, when starting my car, I hear this noise....

It's not the usual starter noise, which seems to be on the passenger side of the car, but a weird "static-y...Kkkrrrrrttttt" kind of sound, coming from the driver's side of the car. I thought it was a belt slipping or something, but honestly I have no idea. The noise first presented itself when the morning temps were like...8 to 10 degrees. I don't think it does it in the afternoon when temps are warmer.

After the car starts, the gauges go black for a second and then the backlight kicks back on. Also, I usually have my computer showing "Average MPG" at all times. After the car starts, it reverts to the trip odometer. It's been doing this computer thing for about 2 weeks now, and has me boggled.

Anyone have an idea of what might be the noise or why the computer is resetting to something other than my default setting?

I am going to install my CAI/Tune in about a week and I don't want to have issues with other parts.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

UPDATE:

Went out to my car at lunch. It's 30 degrees (balmy!). Car fired right up and the sound didn't happen. The computer also showed my "Average MPG" as I had left it from this morning.

So, I think it's just an extreme cold thing?

Additional info: The car has 62K miles. Original battery and stuff.

Thanks.

Cars make all sorts of strange noises and do unusual gyrations when the temps drop into the teens and below. It's time to start worrying when they don't stop as the temps rise.

Just a suggestion, if you can get someone out in that cold (open the hood) have them start the car while you're listening under the hood, or stick your head under the drivers side of the car, where ever you think the sound is coming from, maybe pinpointing the sound will help you determine what the cause could be (ice on the starter gear, ice on the serpentine belt???)

But as luck will have it, the noise would probably not present itself when your friend starts it and you're outside listening, the gauges going black and resetting themselves to a different setting other than what you normally keep them at, throws me for a loop as well????

Let us know what you end up finding out. :)

The problem has not occurred over the last couple days. Temps have been a balmy 25+ degrees, so that may have something to do with it.

If the $ numbers play out in my favor, this discussion may be moot as may be a new 5.0 in the driveway by next week.

Stay tuned!

I have a 2007 Mustang GT. And the past couple weeks in the Motor City, it's been under 30 degrees...and as low as 10 (for a high!).

On occasion, when starting my car, I hear this noise....

It's not the usual starter noise, which seems to be on the passenger side of the car, but a weird "static-y...Kkkrrrrrttttt" kind of sound, coming from the driver's side of the car. I thought it was a belt slipping or something, but honestly I have no idea. The noise first presented itself when the morning temps were like...8 to 10 degrees. I don't think it does it in the afternoon when temps are warmer.

After the car starts, the gauges go black for a second and then the backlight kicks back on. Also, I usually have my computer showing "Average MPG" at all times. After the car starts, it reverts to the trip odometer. It's been doing this computer thing for about 2 weeks now, and has me boggled.

Anyone have an idea of what might be the noise or why the computer is resetting to something other than my default setting?

I am going to install my CAI/Tune in about a week and I don't want to have issues with other parts.

Thanks!

I have no mods on my 2007 GT, but I hear the same thing when I first start mine, it sounds to me like the lifters tapping and/or the engine knocking until it warms up. I'm in VA and the temps don't get that cold here, but I do hear something even in warmer weather. Ford doesn't care about it, if you were to take it back to them. I have been there, done that with them on numerous issues since I bought my Stang, love my car, but hate the dealerships.

I have no mods on my 2007 GT, but I hear the same thing when I first start mine, it sounds to me like the lifters tapping and/or the engine knocking until it warms up. I'm in VA and the temps don't get that cold here, but I do hear something even in warmer weather. Ford doesn't care about it, if you were to take it back to them. I have been there, done that with them on numerous issues since I bought my Stang, love my car, but hate the dealerships.

Hello jaskyland,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I reached out to you on a different thread about your concerns. I would like to look into this further to see how I can help. Could you please message me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info?

Deysha

RE: THE FORD RESPONSE

I also have a cold start rattle that seems to come from the driver's side front of the engine compartment. I see there is a TSB for this. How about when it happens after the service warranty has expired?

It is a sound that is embarrassing, because it makes people look at my car like there is something wrong that I am not addressing.

Please help.

I also have a cold start rattle that seems to come from the driver's side front of the engine compartment. I see there is a TSB for this. How about when it happens after the service warranty has expired?

Hi SonicGirl2005,

That does sound embarrassing! A TSB is a supplement to a vehicle's repair manual and acts as a guide to assist with a specific issue. Coverage of any repair is determined by eligibility under the provisions of the warranty. Your dealer will be able to properly diagnose your rattle, provide an estimate, and will use Ford parts that are recommended for your Mustang. Have a great evening!

~Natasha

a weird "static-y...Kkkrrrrrttttt" kind of sound, coming from the driver's side of the car. I thought it was a belt slipping or something, but honestly I have no idea. The noise first presented itself when the morning temps were like...8 to 10 degrees. I don't think it does it in the afternoon when temps are warmer.

Sounds like the noise is coming from the stepper motors inside the instrument cluster. Seems to be a common issue when the weather turns colder that somehow fixes itself when it gets warmer again.