Confused About My Ford Block

McNeely72

Jan 14, 2016
ATLANTA, GA
I bought a 1979 F-100 Custom short bed.
The truck was crazy fast.
I wanted to take the motor out and put it in my Mach1 that didn't have a motor in it.

Anyway, I noticed how much they had to do to the truck to get this engine to fit.

Anyway, I tried to look up "all" the stamped and casting numbers that are on this block and I'm a little lost.

I know its a Cleveland.?
Just can't figure out what year it is, what the stamped numbers mean and what it came out of.

I took the engine apart to rebuild it for a couple of reasons.
Its been bored .030 over and also has aluminium pistons. Has a 4MA crank and aftermarket Camshaft.

So the casting #'s: D2AE-CA / 1J22
stamped #'s: under the timing plate on passenger side: 1J28C
On rear of block driver's side where the Transmission connects: 2H121516
Under the oil pan, right above the oil filter:
923713/ 11
There's a number ( 7 ) cast in I believe two different places.

I can post pictures of all of these #'s if it would help?

If anyone can help me with this that would be great. Thanks!

By the way, it only has the 2 bolt main caps.
And the intake is a 2bbl with 2V heads. But the casting #'s don't match with the block. Meaning the intake casting numbers are: D1AE-CA -9425-DA / 1J22.

anyway, hope someone can help with any or all of this.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

Um, was this question asked on fixya ? Came up in a google search...and has the same partial vin 2h121516 ?

The casting numbers show that it's a cleveland, and the crank is a 351. the 2v heads and manifold didn't come on that block, but they're good pieces, hence the truck being "crazy fast". All modern engines have aluminum pistons, yours are either cast aluminum, hyperutectic, or forged aluminum. If they were working properly and there was no smoke, I'd button it all back up with new gaskets adding a 4v aluminum intake made to match the 2v heads to make approximately 300 horses, (depending on cam profile and compression ratio) and run it.

Racer James, thanks for your input.
I have been working on old Fords for a while. When I say old I mean 1972 and older. I just never noticed all those stamped codes under the oil pan right above the oil filter, under the timing plate on driver's side and on the back of the block where the fly wheel and transmission would cover on the drivers side.
I'll look up the pistons. And the 4MA crank has like a "15" and a "13" stamped into it.
Maybe the machine shop stamped everything before I bought it?
No one can tell me much about it. Other than the stamped code on the back drivers side is partial VIN.
Who knows. I would love to know what it came out of. Lol

The 1j28c code is the date code...meaning it was cast in 1971 on October 28th the 1j22 is 1971 j = October 22nd.

Thank you I got that part with some help from you guys but the other numbers have me stumped. Lol like 2H121516 on driver's side back of engine block where if you had the transmission hooked up you couldn't see it. And the one under the oil pan right above the oil filter : 923713. Those two have me scratching my head. Lol