Electrical Contour fans wiring

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I have the dual contour fan assembly on my 92. The setup has been controlled by the DCC variable speed controller and I liked it very much but I think that controller has failed and considering the cost of replacing it I’m looking for other options.

I understand the Taurus fan wiring is a two speed design from the factory. I would like to wire these contour fans up in a two speed configuration like the Taurus. Can this be done without too much trouble? I’m sure I can source parts at local junkyards if needed.

Can anyone give me advice or direct me to a good write up for this project?

Thanks for your time

• Sponsors (?)

Always check the 'tips and how to' forum in the tech forum.

Volvo 2-speed fan relays are also another simple alternative to the fan wiring. BMW has dual-temp fan switches that you can use that can toggle between high and low depending on temp. Lots of info on the net as this is a popular mod across many platforms.

The contour fan achieves dual speed by way of the little thermoresistor in the corner.

Reactions: 2 users
Alot to digest with the various choices. I've been watching Youtube vids and I like the control modules that give soft start. My Contour fan assembly was previously obtained as a replacement part that I got off Amazon. It's still working great and it has the factory resistor on it although its never been utilized as of yet. Maybe I will use it this time. I still have to fully diagnose my existing DCC variable speed controller and make sure it's crapped out.

Reactions: 1 user
Alot to digest with the various choices. I've been watching Youtube vids and I like the control modules that give soft start. My Contour fan assembly was previously obtained as a replacement part that I got off Amazon. It's still working great and it has the factory resistor on it although its never been utilized as of yet. Maybe I will use it this time. I still have to fully diagnose my existing DCC variable speed controller and make sure it's crapped out.
I've had my DCC controller on my Contour fan setup for about 6 years and it's worked flawlessly. I believe I read at one time that he will repair his units(if you can get in contact with him). Might be worth a shot.

Before I figure out exactly what I’m going to do I think I’ll wire up a simple relay with a toggle switch so I can manually turn the fans on when needed. I think I’ll run it through the resistor on the contour fan housing because I seriously doubt I’ll ever need full speed. Reduced speed is good for a manual backup in any event.

I’m curious. When running through that resistor I know the fans see less current but does the current that doesn’t reach the fans get burned off in heat at the resistor? This, meaning that the battery is still seeing the same demand but the resistor burns some off as heat and less gets to the fans?

I’ve actually diagnosed that it’s the temperature sensor probe that goes in the radiator fins that’s bad. It should be a cheap and maybe even a common part as far as 5v reference temp probes are concerned. I’ve emailed DC Control to see about a replacement from them or maybe to get some specs so I can hunt one down.

Any help sourcing one would be greatly appreciated.

I’m curious. When running through that resistor I know the fans see less current but does the current that doesn’t reach the fans get burned off in heat at the resistor? This, meaning that the battery is still seeing the same demand but the resistor burns some off as heat and less gets to the fans?

Yes, the resistor generates heat. That's why it's placed in the shroud, as the airflow generated by the fan will sweep over it and cool it down. For that reason I wouldn't suggest moving it.

I heard back from DC Control. They're sending me a new sensor. It was $25 which included shipping. I'll put it in when it gets here and report back.

Reactions: 2 users
Just a follow up. I got the new sensor today but I need to do a little work before I put it in. I also discovered why the original one failed. The fan assembly slid down and pinched the wires. I need to get the fan assembly better secured. I think I’ll install the sensor within the shroud just above the bottom edge instead of below it. That too should help prevent damage if the shroud moves down again. Here is a picture of the damaged sensor and one of the new showing how it’s supposed to look.

IMG_2597.png

IMG_2595.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
The LMR kit for Contour fan install is nice for sure. It’s too pricey for me at the moment though. No worries because I solved the problem of mounting for zero dollars. I rummaged through all the junk I keep and found a drip rail bracket from roof rack. It’s perfect for the task and I didn’t even have to modify it. I just drilled some holes and sifted through my fastener stock and done! Here’s what it looks like installed.

IMG_2638.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
I finally put the new sensor from DCC in today. Obviously it’s a really easy process. Upon testing I confirm the controller is back to working order.