Conventional Oil in the 2010 Mustang GT?

MustangJSM

May 30, 2009
Hello all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I just bought myself a 2010 Mustang GT Premium, and I'm anxiously awaiting delivery since it has to be ordered from the factory.

I'm a do-it-yourself oil change guy, and was wondering if conventional oil can be used in this year's GT model? Not that I am being cheap or anything, but I'm just curious since it seems that the manual can be confusing in terms of parts/fluid recommendations.

I know that the owner's manual recommends synthetic blend and/or full synthetic, but most dino oils meet the Ford WSS-M2C930-A spec, which is also stated by the manual.

I'll most likely end up using a full synthetic, but I'd just like to know if it would be overkill or not.

• Sponsors (?)

You'll get tons of opinions on this issue. But remember, Ford does all their durabiity testing with the motorcarft 5-20 syn blend. If you ever have a engine issue, the first thing that is evaluated is engine oil. It's not worth the hassle in my opinion to use something else and have to prove documentation that another oil is okay.

You'll get tons of opinions on this issue. But remember, Ford does all their durabiity testing with the motorcarft 5-20 syn blend. If you ever have a engine issue, the first thing that is evaluated is engine oil. It's not worth the hassle in my opinion to use something else and have to prove documentation that another oil is okay.

Would it make sense to use a synthetic blend, even if it is not Motorcraft?

I'm a do-it-yourselfer with all of my vehicles when it comes to changing oil...I always stick with the what the manufacturer put in the vehicle (in the case of the Stang it's a semi-syn 5w-20...for my '01 Vette it came with Mobil 1 5w-30)...

BTW, be sure to let us know how your first oil change goes...it appears that the 2010 now has some kind of a tray/shield under your engine which must be removed in order access the oil filter (and perhaps your drain plug)...let us know how that goes and how much time and/or frustration it adds the simple oil/filter changes in previous Stangs.

Thanks!

I do my own oil changes and I have always used Mobil 1 Synthetic oils (plain vanilla no additive high mileage stuff) with great results. What matters is that whatever oil you consider has the certification seal (lower right on Mobil 1 bottles) specific to your car's manufacturer. Ford's certification is listed on the oil I use.

Just keep your records for the oil and filter. I had a warranty issue with Ford on my Focus ST (engine blew up), they tried to claim that their was no oil in the car (that would be because it all flew out on the road when the engine exploded) but I turned in my records and they put a new motor in.