Conversions

Dan W.

Oct 4, 2013
I want to install a 5.o from a 2000 explorer into a 1968 cougar with a c4. What do I need to do? Will the motor mount line up? Will the transmission work or do I need a aod? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If you already have a 302, the motor should bolt in using the older oil pan and motor mounts. But getting it running is not that simple. Are you going carb or EFI? The rest of the answers depend on your intended path.

If you already have a 302, the motor should bolt in using the older oil pan and motor mounts. But getting it running is not that simple. Are you going carb or EFI? The rest of the answers depend on your intended path.
Thank you. Yes I already have the motor and will probably go with the carb and intake from my 68 302. I will install a distributor and pertronix ignition. Will it bolt up to the c4 using the original torque converter and mounting holes? Or should I get an aod?

1st, make sure your new distributor has a gear that is compatible with the stock roller cam's gear. Flat tappet cams use a different gear material, and mixing the two makes a mess of chewed up teeth. I do not know of a stock points type distributor for a roller camshaft, so you may be switching gears or need to go with an aftermarket distributor.

As far as the transmission, do you need an AOD, especially when the c4 can be built stronger for less? No. But will you wish you had installed overdrive? Probably! I sure wish I had on another classic I own. I can not tell you about driveshaft length, mounts, yoke or u joint issues, just that overdrives are a good thing if you ever get on the road.

If you do not already have an aftermarket or at least stock 4bbl intake, I highly recommend the Performer line. If I still had a pre EFI Stang, I would try an air gap one. They have dual plane torque with about single plane HP. And they weigh less than the cast iron. A vacuum secondary 4bbl should get you 2bbl mileage and breathe a lot better

one other thing, you need to change the front timing cover on the newer motor to the older one, otherwise you need to run an electric fuel pump, and you need to drill the front cover for the dipstick opening.

I was so worried about the distributor that I forgot about the fuel pump. The stock accessories might work better with the matching water pump and cover too.

If he is going to use a mechanical fuel pump instead of an electric one, will the later motor have a fuel pump eccentric?? It has been too long since I had my 79 apart to remember the 302 system. What runs the pump? Is it an offset eccentric bolted to the camshaft?

the explorer motor will not have the fuel pump eccentric, but it is easy enough to install one, and i believe they are available from places like npd. and yes it is bolted to the front of the cam.