Convertible Guys Chime In, Windshield Replacement

frdstang00

Founding Member
Feb 8, 2002
Brockton,MA
My vert,has had small rock chips in the windshield since I bought it in 2011, I didn't want to replace it until I had to due to I was afraid the painted exterior pillars on either side would not sit back correctly. Well over the winter lost storage and kept it outside ...it cracked. Called my insurance and went to their preferred vendor. As soon as they pulled it out I was pissed. The Pillars not sitting flush and they cracked the plastic cowl. They just handed me the keys like nothing was wrong and figured I would go on my way. After I barked a bit, they ordered a new cowl and had me comeback a week later to have a senior tech resolve the fitment issue and replace the cowl. The pillars still don't sit were they used to but it looks like they tweak them so it does sit more flush. Have any of you guys have similar issues, Any windshield techs on the forum. Sorry its a bit long but I already gave them 2 chances to resolve and still unhappy. My next step is to take to either the dealer or someone more knowledgeable than where the first repair was done and bring them the bill.

• Sponsors (?)

Safelite Auto Glass? That's exactly what happened to mine after Safelite put in a windshield...then to add insult to injury it cracked after about 2 months and they wouldn't warranty it because it had teeny tiny chips in it...like you can drive everyday for a couple months and not get any chips on a windshield...

sorry no help, but I feel your pain.

Last edited:
Ok, here is my experience with this. My 96' gt vert had to have the windshield replacement deal. I took off my own painted pillars myself and the cowl so there was no chance they would mess it up. Reinstalling them is easy enough but getting the top part to line up right with the top is tough. I never did get the passenger side quite right and have no idea how it was done at the factory. Luckily so far my 00' has the factory windshield and it's flawless so hopefully this doesn't happen to it as long as I own the car.