Convertible Top Leaking

familyman

May 19, 2015
I have a '99 GT Convertible that is not my daily driver and I avoid driving it in the rain. However, I have been out of town twice when a torrential rain hit. In both cases I ended up with significant water behind the back seat in the vinyl boot. One thing I have noticed is that the top around the exterior of the rear window is not sealed to the glass except along the bottom. In other words, the top and the sides are not sealed to the glass. Could that be where the water is getting in?

• Sponsors (?)

These cars have a 2 piece top. The rear curtain, which includes the window, and the top. They are not sealed together but both are pulled tight and stapled on the bottom tack strip. A common problem are wear holes on each side below the rear window. Water leaks in and collects in the rear well. Chances are you will not be able to see them. Mine does the same and I keep a towel in the well to absorb any water that leaks in. The only true fix is a new top and curtain. Search you tube and you will see what I am trying to say. Hope this helps.

Agree, the bottom corners of the window are almost always the source of the leaks. If you feel around with your finger tips you can locate the problem spots. Some silicon sealant can help, but the only real fix is to replace the window.

If the top in general is in good condition it is possible to replace only the rear curtain. If your top is original I would recommend replacing the entire top as it's past its useful life at this point

I saw this is a pretty old thread but I had the same issue on my 2003 gt, after paying $1500 for a new top it had the same leak- mine was the seal that goes under the top on the back of the car where it bolts on...$36 and someone mechanically inclined fixed it.My top was original but could have went for a few more years, the Ford part number is F4ZZ-76546A02-A.My car leaked into the vinyl reservoir behind the seats and into the floorboard, the seal was dry rotted on both sides and absorbing water.Hope this helps someone else, wish I would have seen it before I paid for a top I didn’t need.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 86