Convertible with Roll Bar

stangwbar.jpg

Can you put the Top back on without removing the Bar?
Or do you have to take the bar off and put it on evertime you want?
Of course thats not my car, im just using the pic as an example of what im talking about.
Thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

To answer your question, no, the rollbar stays on all the time, you cant take it off, the convertible top goes up and over the rollbar automatically and there is no intereference.
My brother has a 2001 Mustang GT convertible (silver) with a CDC rollbar, so it looks JUST like that one but with 3 1/2 inche pipes (Bassani) in the back and black "MUSTANG" bumper inserts and "Bullet" charcoal rims, CT licsense plates (duh) and the newer style GT wing...

well its all preference man. many would like the ease of use of the auto while others would much more enjoy thrill and everything else that is associated with manual, also, manual is much better for racing as you pick your own shift times etc. Personally i dont think they should make the GT available in auto :nonono:

Im lazy so i like the auto.
I like chillin in my ride, not worrying about shifting all the time...lol
esepecially in stop and go traffic...omg
anyway like 0-60 in a auto and 5pseed mustang, are they the same?
Which would be faster?

the auto is gonna rob about 10 hp from you. however, in the 2001+ mustangs, you have to special order a v6 with a sandard :(. I wanted one...but I could only afford one a year old, so I couldn't get it. Since 2001, ford's "premium" package on the verts has included leather seats, mach 460 audio, convertable top boot (useless unless you're trying to make it look nice which I rarely ever put it on, pain in the butt), traction control/abs, auto (and a couple other menial things). So if you want a standared its either baseline, or special order. the 99-00's are easier to find standard, however you have less hp...about the same an auto would rob from a 01+.

I have an auto yellow 02 vert with a roll bar (check my webpage for pix). Now, if you're going thinking that you're going to be saved in a roll over from one of these two point bars....if it's a really hard rollover, you're not. the front winshield supports are only so strong, and the 2 point bar is about the equivelant. if you want a real sturdy safety cage you would need a 4 point bar, and reinforced the winshield frame (to make it D somethin compliant, not DOT....somethin else....2 point IS DOT compl.)

if you're looking at getting a light bar...go to www.ponyperformance.com and look at theirs, it's pretty cool because when your top goes up it disables the brake light, if you dont want one with a brake light check the link o my website, it's a great bar and matches wonderfully. both ponyperf. and KS Autosports have been wonderful service wise.....

If you have any more questions on late model verts let me know.

Good job getting rid of your ****vic :)

Since when do the '01+ mustangs have more power than the '99-'00 mustangs?

Every source I've looked at rates them with the same power. (Actually, a couple sites I've seen give the '99 5lbs more torque, but I'll put that up to a typo).

The pre-'99 mustangs had less HP, but 99-04 have the same engine? Or am I missing something?

Anyway, as for the roll bar. When I bought my vert, my mother volunteered to pay for a roll bar. I didn't really want one but I took a look anyway. I couldn't find one that looked good. Most of the aftermarket ones look like they belong more on a jeep than a mustang. Plus, you are adding weight to a car that is already a couple hundred pounds heavier than the coupe.

If you are really concerned that you are going to flip the car, then go for it I guess, but I personally don't think they are worth it. Better things to spend your money on.

it may be the 02 when it was changed....I know on the 02 you have the higher flow intake/exhaust controller....which makes the car sound a little bit louder in general....adds a couple hp i think....maybe torque. i dont remember...my friend had pretty much memorized the specs of all mustangs lol....i'll ask him later.

my grandma ordered my roll bar...and it really looks nearly idential to the saleen one, I think. and yes it is about 200-250 lbs heavier than a coupe, but if you're not going to be racing it constantly (which if you were why would you have a vert in the first place?) then an additional 15 lbs isnt going to hurt you too much.

there are minor differences in the 99-01 and 02+, such as the 99-01 has the metal MAF vs. plastic, with seperated sensors.....but the differences are minor....then the 04 has a 3.9 liter engine in it i believe, or maybe its just optional. i know some 04 v6's have the 3.9L....basically just a slightly longer cylinder....

I dunno im going to bed I had a long night at work. later.

Thordic said:
Anyway, as for the roll bar. When I bought my vert, my mother volunteered to pay for a roll bar. I didn't really want one but I took a look anyway. I couldn't find one that looked good. Most of the aftermarket ones look like they belong more on a jeep than a mustang. Plus, you are adding weight to a car that is already a couple hundred pounds heavier than the coupe.
The roll bar isn't just for safety. My dad's got a 4 point roll bar in his coupe just for the added chassis stiffening. link If I had a convertible, the first thing I would do would be get a roll bar.

Thordic said:
Since when do the '01+ mustangs have more power than the '99-'00 mustangs?

'99-'00 = 190 at the crank
'01+ = 193 at the crank :p

This change was in '01, but the difference is only 3hp.

Personally i dont think they should make the GT available in auto

Yea. MM&FF only got a 14.095 in the 1/4 with an auto GT.
I mean what the hell was Ford thinking? I could get out and run faster than that. I mean I saw Fast and Furious, and ten seconds is where it's at. :rolleyes:

If Ford killed the Auto in the GT, they would still be losing a good chunk of buyers. Not everyone knows how or even wants to drive a manual tranny car. My car's an auto cause I got it used and thought it'd be okay, cause I would be attending school in Orlando(where traffic sucks). While I still wish I could've found a 5-spd, all my friends from school that drive stick around here say they wish they had an Auto.
Have you ever been in an automatic Mach I? Now there's a fast car, "slushbox" or not.

haha, i came up with that statement when i was shopping for cars. every single reasonably priced GT i came across was, you guessed it, auto (at the time there was no way i wanted to buy an auto =D).not to mention the manual transmition just reeks of testosterone. and where i live, CT, manual is where its at. The only traffic you ever expierience is some old fart driving 20 on a twisty road, or some bumper to bumper traffic on I-95. Of course ford should never drop the auto, i just speak out of my ass. :flag:

Ghostalker said:
Of course ford should never drop the auto, i just speak out of my ass. :flag:

Yea. I just wanted to point out that Autos aren't all that bad.
I didn't mean to make anyone look ignorant, but all I here from the ricer crowd is how autos are ALWAYS the inferior tranny. And it just kind of sickens me when I see it posted on a Mustang forum, V6 or not.
If you go to the classic forum and say that, you will definately catch some crap. The fact is that automatics can be built up very nicely and in some cases, they can hold advantages over a manual tranny. I mean look at the Lingenfelter twin turbo Corvette. Motor trend ran it in the 1/4 in the low 9's and the 0-60 was under 2 second. And it was an Automatic car. :shrug:

nomuffler said:
The roll bar isn't just for safety. My dad's got a 4 point roll bar in his coupe just for the added chassis stiffening. link If I had a convertible, the first thing I would do would be get a roll bar.

Besides the fact I think they kinda look like ass, do you think chassis flex is really that much of an issue with the v6?

I could understand how a v8 would put out enough torque to skew some stuff, but I didn't think the 6 would have enough power to cause much chassis flex.

Rattltrunk said:
stangwbar.jpg

Can you put the Top back on without removing the Bar?
Or do you have to take the bar off and put it on evertime you want?
Of course thats not my car, im just using the pic as an example of what im talking about.
Thanks for the help

It's called a styling bar. A roll bar is uglier and for safety, protects ur a$$ in a rollover.

FYI, this is only for looks and does NOT add to the weight of a heavy A$$ vert.

well 4 point bars are also considered to be used for safety. as long as there is a strenghtened fron winshield area. 2 point bar is DOT approved, 4 point is NHSTA approved. 4 point is ugly though, in my opinion.

and yes, the 2 points are called "styling bars". also "light bars"

Thordic said:
Besides the fact I think they kinda look like ass, do you think chassis flex is really that much of an issue with the v6?

I could understand how a v8 would put out enough torque to skew some stuff, but I didn't think the 6 would have enough power to cause much chassis flex.
LOL the chassis flex that a roll bar deals with doesn't have anything to do with the engine, in a normal car. It'd take an assload of torque to twist the car, a GT don't make near that much. Think side to side flex due to hard cornering.