Coyote Swap

Jace_78

Mar 10, 2016
Hey all, new to Stangnet, hoping for some help/advice.
I just bought a 2011 Coyote 5.0 with 34k miles on it, came with wiring harness, PCM, and all accessories to put in my 1990 coupe. It's my understanding that I still need the Ford power pack (harness, pedal and airbox) for this engine to run? Also just looking for further thoughts on K-members, looking at the AJE or team Z, as well as swapping to manual brakes and steering. I've heard mixed reviews on going to manual, and what k-members to get, just hoping for some further incite. Thanks!

Justin

• Sponsors (?)

@TOOLOW91 did one for a friend. He could chime in also. As far as manual brakes/steering goes...I wouldn't do it unless this is just a track car. TeamZ,maximum motorsports,UPR are all good k members. I've seen more mixed reviews on the AJE units but some people swear by them. And create a thread on here if you do the swap. Would love to follow along. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Happy to help out, this is the pcm you need, stock one you cant defeat the antitheft..

https://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12284

Only 2 k's work well Maximum motorsports or UPR. Spend the extra$ on the MM, UPR and others have clearance issues and require spacers between K and frame

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-K-member-for-engine-swap-Mustang-1979-1995-P278.aspx

I have full PS, Brakes and AC,

Simple hydroboost with cobra "big brakes"

There are a few PS pump bracket options, I went Sean Hyland

https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.co...Coyote-5.0-crate-engine-with-Air-Conditioning

Only draw back isI wish it had a belt tensor but no issues

BBK LT and your choice of mid and cat back

http://www.bbkperformance.com/products/new-products/coyote-swap-full-length-headers-and-x-pipes.html

Plenty more info but this should get you started.

Feel free to ask any questions...

Reactions: 1 users
control pack listed makes life super simple . Don't do the manual stuff the power steering and hydro boost is so worth it .

And I disagree with those being the only 2 k members that work well . The AJE has worked flawless in my buddies car with many street miles both with a big block Chevy and the coyote now . I'd use the stifflers TRANS crossmember as well .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

@89oem @Jason 302 @TOOLOW91 Thanks for all the info and replies! I swapped to a 9" rear end with discs last year, I've seen a few different ways to do the hydroboost swap and just curious on the easiest way to go?

As far as the K member I have heard MM is really good, but it seems AJE was bad and fixed their issues in 2014 (fitment and oblong holes), now it seems most are happy with them. Just weighing options especially since the AJE setup is less than half the cost of the MM.

Swap is in progress sort of, the 2v is almost out but I plan on taking a while trying to make the engine bay look nice and neat before I move on.

Reactions: 1 users
@89oem @Jason 302 @TOOLOW91
As far as the K member I have heard MM is really good, but it seems AJE was bad and fixed their issues in 2014 (fitment and oblong holes), now it seems most are happy with them. Just weighing options especially since the AJE setup is less than half the cost of the MM.

Maximum Motorsports stuff is pricey but you always know it's going to be an excellent product with great instructions included. Their stuff is hard to beat.

Reactions: 2 users
That is a good point, I know I hate buying a kit for something and having to either fab it over or send it back :/
The one I installed was in the car before 2014 and never had an issue with two different engines . Using one now in my friends car as well to do a 2jz Toyota supra motor .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

@89oem @Jason 302 @TOOLOW91 Thanks for all the info and replies! I swapped to a 9" rear end with discs last year, I've seen a few different ways to do the hydroboost swap and just curious on the easiest way to go?

Swap is in progress sort of, the 2v is almost out but I plan on taking a while trying to make the engine bay look nice and neat before I move on.
This may help you out on the hydro boost questions
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457708292.167359.jpg

We used a hydratech booster that allowed us to use the stock fox pedals . You can modify a Mach 1 hydro boost setup and weld the clip on the end to take the stock pedals as well to my understanding

Dont know much about AJE but @TOOLOW91 knows his stuff...

Ive heard good things about PBH bracket

Before you decide on the PS bracket you have to decide about AC as it shifts where things mount.

You can use a factory hydroboost from a donor with the fox pedal, all you have to do redrill the mounting bracket with the fox bolt hole pattern and it all lines up perfect - this is what I have, works flawless and no concerns about welded rod ends (some folks worry theyll snap under stress, use or emergency braking...) @Mustang5L5 is our resident entire brake system guru.... if you plan on swapping out your entire brake system.

With the MM k you Must by MM A arms which leads to 94/95 spindles which leads to 5 lug which leads to new rims, modified brake handle etc....

Youre looking at upto 400 hp and 370+ tq - so better have subframe connectors, welded or battle boxed upper control arm boxes, aftermarket lower control arms etc - These things are a Must in my opinion as are the upgraded brakes,

What are your current mods in this arena if any - that'll help us help you

Also the tech guys at FRPP are an incredible resource for this as well for motor, PCM, drivetrain combo sounding board....

I've got BBK upper and lower control arms, Ford 9"housing disc brakes on rear and I do have subframe connectors (every fox should). The rear end is pretty stout.
As silly as it seems, trying to stock with 4 lug, I've got cross drilled and vented rotors on front and rear. ..I tried to take care of drive train and brakes last year knowing this was coming.

**edit for bad phone spelling**

Last edited:
I've got BBC upper and lower control arms, Ford 9"housing disc brakes on rear and I do have subframe connecters (every fox should). The rear end is pretty stout.
As silly as it seems, trying to stock with 4 lug, I've got cross drilled amd vented rotors on front and rear. ..I tried to take care of drive train amd brakes last year knowing this was coming.
My buddies car is still 4 lug 93 cobra brakes out back and it still stops pretty decent

I know it's been a while, but after a tornado, father passing away and a slab leak in my living room getting the project cranked back up. I picked up a 2011 coyote from a salvage yard, got AC, alternator and complete wiring harness :) Do I still need the ford racing harness? Everywhere I look it says it is required with crate motors....can't find anything for if you got the harness with the engine. Thanks and I'll upload some progress pics soon!

If you are going to put that motor in a fox, you'll need the standalone ford racing harness.

The engine harness with it is really only compatible with the mustang it came with

Sorry about your dad

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I know it's been a while, but after a tornado, father passing away and a slab leak in my living room getting the project cranked back up. I picked up a 2011 coyote from a salvage yard, got AC, alternator and complete wiring harness :) Do I still need the ford racing harness? Everywhere I look it says it is required with crate motors....can't find anything for if you got the harness with the engine. Thanks and I'll upload some progress pics soon!
Makes life much easier and simpler to use the control pack and harness

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies, I thought I needed the control pack. On American muscle it says for use with crate engine only which had me kinda confused, this just their way of getting you to buy a new engine?