Electrical Cranks Ok, But No Start Checklist For Fuel Injected Mustangs

Danny411

Feb 25, 2015
I have a 2000 Ford Mustang 3.8 that cranks but won't start. ( YOUTUBE LINK TO A VIDEO OF MY PROBLEM )

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGWXRLStJlQ

I got the car and it worked perfectly the entire day ( must of started it about 10 times )!

The next day it would not start sometimes it sputters/coughs .

I changed the spark plugs and wires. My battery is brand new.

After i started i attempted to start it many, many times, i pulled a plug and its black and has fuel on it

I also checked all the fuses ( under the dash and the hood)

I contacted the old owner and he said he never had any problems.

I get no codes coming off of it.

I have a good fuel pump because i hear it prime when i turn the car on, and gas spits out the schrader valve when i tested it….

Also, if i spray starter fluid in the throttle body the car won't start ( not even for a couple seconds )

I also forgot to mention that i did manage to get it started a couple days ago, and realized that BOTH catalytic converters where blocked THEY WHERE RED HOT, i took the exhaust system off and it started and would only stay running if i had my foot all the way down on the gas, if i tried to shift into drive it would almost die and would not move an inch. I put the exhaust back on and now it will just cough, it won't stay running. Please help me out!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Sponsors (?)

With the exhaust disconnected it won't be reading the 02 sensors so your air fuel mixture will be way off causing it to run similar to that. Same goes if your cats are clogged. Get the cats changed. Maybe change the 02 sensors and check the air intake tube/ box for any clogs. If the car sat b4 you got it there is a good chance rodents made it home. Mufflers can get clogged with rodents as well.