crankshaft position sensor?

brooksjf

Dec 29, 2005
does anyone know if the 1988 mustang GT has a crank position sensor? i started it up today and drove about 20 miles to my parents house and all went well. i stayed for about 5 hours and went to leave but no start! it turned over i had power at the plugs, was getting gas to the engine, rebooted the computer, and still it just spun... anyone heard of them having a crank position sensor and do you think that could be it??

thanks for any help,
jim

• Sponsors (?)

don't know the year model of your stang is it efi,carb ect....and how did you know it was getting gas if it is efi did you check pressure...below is info for an efi system.

on our stangs the (cmp) camshaft position sensor is housed inside the distributor and responds to a rotating metallic shutter mounted on the distributor shaft. this rotating shutter produces a digital profile ignition pickup (pip) signal, which is used by the (pcm) powertrain module and (icm) ignition control module to provide base timing information and to determine engine speed (rpm) and crankshaft position.

Bill's right - even on an old '88 (which has a slightly different PIP function than later foxes and 5N95's) you just have a PIP.