Damn cooling fan plug!!!

I just repaired the cooling fan plug with a new harness but it keeps burning out one of the terminals and causing the fan to shut off and my engine to overheat!!
I want to see if anyone has come up with any good ideas to remedy this
Im not talking bout ghetto rigging it with switches and cutting into the ccrm harness either!!!
the fan motor is new as is the harness and the ccrm

I think if everyone puts their minds together we can come up with something to fix this other than temporary repairs

• Sponsors (?)

mustangsammym,

I'm not sure if I completely understand what you did with a new harness, but there is one thing that you should be aware of.

Ford issued a recall years ago on the cooling fan connector. If you do a search on this site for cooling fan connector recall, you should find lots of info about it.

Ford fixes the problem by adding another piece in between the connector on the fan and the wiring harness. Any Ford dealer should install it for you for free.

Sorry if I misunderstood and this is not your particular problem.

Good luck.

from what i can see is that if you leave the car running and you push on the connector the fan will come to life but when you let go it turns back off
what i was thinking is that the little tab that holds the connector on should be placed closer to the center of the motor so that the plug will have a tight nonloose connection and it will never wiggle free or cause the circuit to get hot

the ccrm and the fan motor are pricey to have to replace all the time so i just wanted to throw out my two cents

It's hard to polish a turd. The factory plug and connector simply suck (Look at a 3.8L Taurus connector and pigtail for comparison. The two fans spec out very closely).

If a new OEM motor and pigtail are not sufficient, modifications would need to be made (because the original design is lackluster).

I wont say more because I did what was considered a ghetto-rig.

Good luck.

Also to add to the above, are you sure your fan itself isn't the problem? The Ford recall added protection by causing the fuse to blow, rather than burning the wire because the fan bearings can fail, causing the harness to burn. Basically, they did a half-assed "fix" rather than replace the fans which are known to be of somewhat poor quality with high enough failure rates to warrant the recall.

As long as we're chatting about the general issue. Anyone find it ironic that while all this crap happens to the fan and fan wiring, the fan fuse itself never seems to blow. :rlaugh:

Has anyone stepped the fuse rating down and had luck with it (a slow burn fuse) not blowing, but perhaps actually having some circuit protection?

I brought this up because I thought it might be pertinent to Mustangsammym's resolution.

ditto on the fuse not blowing!!!!
Im gonna try to figure this out
something must be done
I'm sick of all these mod mustangs running around cool all day!!!!

I work as a mechanic for a company that stresses we work with what we have versus buying a bunch of crap so I must put my mind to work and fix this problem

if it keeps doing that it means that the motor is sucking more amperage as they get older they tend to do that especially since its dual speed.If its the original fan motor they were recalled due to seized bearings and that caused the pigtail to burn since it was getting too much amperage thats the reason Ford did the recall and put the circuit breaker in .I had this problem and I was told if you replace the fan motor you should be ok .I did that 3 years ago and no problem ever since.:nice:

mustangsammym,

I'm not sure if I completely understand what you did with a new harness, but there is one thing that you should be aware of.

Ford issued a recall years ago on the cooling fan connector. If you do a search on this site for cooling fan connector recall, you should find lots of info about it.

Ford fixes the problem by adding another piece in between the connector on the fan and the wiring harness. Any Ford dealer should install it for you for free.

Sorry if I misunderstood and this is not your particular problem.

Good luck.

hello I have a 2008 ford mustang it is not a gt... it is an automatic it only has 73,000 miles i am having the same issue with my mustang that i bought from a used car place that has been very good to me considering i am paying them 13gs for the car in all but anyway I have had the same type of problem with my fan and connectors. My dad rigged it two summers ago and it finally stopped working again. one of the plugs had some corrosion and was very loose. He tested the fan to make sure it wasnt the fan motor and it worked so he just fixed the plugs.... he cannot help me this time for whatever reasons so thats why im asking on here so any help would be great. okay, so I think it could just be the wire kit so maybe I coul djust buy new plugs but I have no idea what ones I should get or even what to enter in the search for my 2008 mustang... there are far too many options online and I am very much overwhelmed. Its been a month and I still havent got it fixed and I need my car back... also about the recall... even if I didnt buy it from the ford dealership, they will fix it???

thank you so much
AShley

hello I have a 2008 ford mustang it is not a gt... it is an automatic it only has 73,000 miles i am having the same issue with my mustang that i bought from a used car place that has been very good to me considering i am paying them 13gs for the car in all but anyway I have had the same type of problem with my fan and connectors. My dad rigged it two summers ago and it finally stopped working again. one of the plugs had some corrosion and was very loose. He tested the fan to make sure it wasnt the fan motor and it worked so he just fixed the plugs.... he cannot help me this time for whatever reasons so thats why im asking on here so any help would be great. okay, so I think it could just be the wire kit so maybe I coul djust buy new plugs but I have no idea what ones I should get or even what to enter in the search for my 2008 mustang... there are far too many options online and I am very much overwhelmed. Its been a month and I still havent got it fixed and I need my car back... also about the recall... even if I didnt buy it from the ford dealership, they will fix it???

thank you so much
AShley

thank you so much
AShley

First thing, Welcome to Stangnet :)
Second Thing,This is a very old thread-last post was 2007z
Third thing,you are looking in the wrong forum section-you need to be in the 2005-14 S197 section. I would recommend you start a thread there,many members with waaayyy more knowledge on your model will pop in and give you info/ideas.

With the info you gave- I would suspect the fan as being bad,an electric cooling fan can still technically work but be bad. What I think could be happening is the van is drawing to many amps and melting the cooling fan connector . You can use a multimeter to check the draw at the fan. And here's the pigtail :http://www.carparts.com/details/Mot...gclid=CPOXnubV1NACFYEdgQod6o4DfA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Again Welcome to Stangnet, check out the 05-14 section I mentioned,and by all means all the other sections and good luck :nice:

First thing, Welcome to Stangnet :)
Second Thing,This is a very old thread-last post was 2007z
Third thing,you are looking in the wrong forum section-you need to be in the 2005-14 S197 section. I would recommend you start a thread there,many members with waaayyy more knowledge on your model will pop in and give you info/ideas.

With the info you gave- I would suspect the fan as being bad,an electric cooling fan can still technically work but be bad. What I think could be happening is the van is drawing to many amps and melting the cooling fan connector . You can use a multimeter to check the draw at the fan. And here's the pigtail :http://www.carparts.com/details/Mot...gclid=CPOXnubV1NACFYEdgQod6o4DfA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Again Welcome to Stangnet, check out the 05-14 section I mentioned,and by all means all the other sections and good luck :nice:

Good Mornign and thank yiu so much for your help! I realized I was in the wrong section after I posted it and was slightly embarrassed lol what a silly girl I am. But thank yiui again for your help I will check the info out that you gave me. Have a wonderful day and a Merry Christmas!

Reactions: 1 user