Decisions, Yank Engine Or Not

krazedstang

15 Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Streamwood
So I have an 88 Vert that I currently have heads intake and a cam to put in, oil pan is rusted and is leaking. It's been a while since I've pulled an engine, Do you think it would be easier to pull the engine to replace all that (including oil pan) or just support the engine up to get the pan over the k member? I keep going back and forth with how I want to do it.

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with Madspeed. You do less work supporting the engine, but changing the gasket is a PITA. Or you pull the engine which is a PITA and have an easy time replacing everything. If it were me, I'd pull the engine so I didn't have to do all that under the car, unless you have access to a lift.

Id rather pull the engine. A friend and I did a clutch and oil pan one night on a fox. Started at 630 pm by 10 the motor had been out all the work done and back in the car just left to have the upper intake put on and the trans put back in.

Reactions: 5 users
There is indeed an advantage to taking the engine out. You can... Clean and repaint, change EVERY gasket, install your new pan (and oil pump while you're in there), do your cam swap.... etc etc etc. Then just drop it back in place and move on with your life.

Reactions: 1 users
I have done it both ways and while you can change the pan gasket with the engine still in the car, it is a lot more difficult to do it correctly that way.
That leads back to pulling the engine, especially if you have other work to do besides the pan gasket.