Do I Have To Tune If I Swap In A Stock 5.4 2v

iowabowhunter

Mar 24, 2004
I have a 2001 GT that has developed a low end knock. I have sitting in my garage a low mileage 5.4 from a 2002 F150 that was intended to go into another truck I had. If I replace the 4.6 with the 5.4 will I have to get it tuned? Please keep in mind that this is by no means a race car. It's an all stock auto convertible with cat back and a CAI. The reason I'm looking at the 5.4 option is I have the motor and I'm having a hard time finding a reasonably priced 4.6 with low mileage. From what I gather it will run on the stock 4.6 tune just not optimal. Also it appears I should get a really nice increase in low - mid-range torque which would be nice.

Thanks
Bob

• Sponsors (?)

5.4 swap will require a few modifications that might prove costly. You'll need to modify the X-Pipe or buy one specifically for 5.4 conversions. And if you have headers they probably won't fit. On top of hood clearance. And it'll add extra weight to the front of the car. With that, you'd be better off just finding an ECU off Ebay for that engine. The stock ECU might work but you should have it tuned so it'll run correctly if you don't get a 5.4 ECU. Good luck.

I have a 2001 GT that has developed a low end knock. I have sitting in my garage a low mileage 5.4 from a 2002 F150 that was intended to go into another truck I had. If I replace the 4.6 with the 5.4 will I have to get it tuned? Please keep in mind that this is by no means a race car. It's an all stock auto convertible with cat back and a CAI. The reason I'm looking at the 5.4 option is I have the motor and I'm having a hard time finding a reasonably priced 4.6 with low mileage. From what I gather it will run on the stock 4.6 tune just not optimal. Also it appears I should get a really nice increase in low - mid-range torque which would be nice.

Thanks
Bob
I was going to suggest that you have the wire harness to that 5.4 so that it'll wire right up to the engine and the brain to that motor so that it'll fire correctly and run true. If you don't have the harness then you'll have to definitely tune it to get it happy.