Do you or family or friends use tobacco products? Read this immediately. DO IT NOW !!

Umm,, Everyone knows smoking is Russian roulette. Not everybody that smokes is an idiot per se , but to do it knowing the inherent risks that accompany is obviously not a great call. I personally think Zoo doesnt really believe that across the board , elimination from the gene pool is what users need, I do however think he is seriously anti-tobacco. Dont take everything at face value , I guess. I started this thread to tell everyone about an option for friends and family members that are not willing to "quit" . Okay , fine, dont quit, but go a safer route if you must. And if that means paying the Swedes, so be it. They arent bad people... :D As far as your kin or friends that use, I hope this info turns them that direction. What do you guys that use think about it so far after reading the reports?

• Sponsors (?)

Let's see if I can clarify my admittedly harsh response a bit before I send the smokers and chewers from going into shock. First, I personally don't care whether someone chooses to use tobacco or not, if it turns you on, and you're not doing it in my house, fine. The problem I have is with people starting a KNOWN ADDICTIVE HABIT, then whining because they can't quit. Don't use starting young, or doing it to relieve stress as an excuse. Everyone was young and we all experience stress, so why doesn't everone smoke? Also, I like Max Powers attitude, he does it because he LIKES it! He also realizes that it's a CHOICE that HE consciously makes, he is not under alien control, or the victim of some high-level government plot. Pakrat seems to think I am a self riteous butthead with no feelings at all towards other's problems. I did not say that, what I said is also said in the Bible, "as you reap, so shall you sew". Kid Rock also said it, "you get what you put in, and people get what they deserve". Got money problems? Quit spending money like it's got an expiration date on it. Wife leave you? Quit sleeping with other women. Kids out of control? Look in the mirror to see what they're looking to for an example. Pak also seems to think cars rule my life to the point of addiction and that I could not give them up. Not quite, Marlboro man. If my car was causing my family to suffer, or there was a better than average chance it someday would (like smoking) it would be gone tomorrow, bet on it. It's just a car, no more, no less. When I'm not working with anything hazardous, my 3 year old son likes to go out to the shop with me, so it's a little family time. I'm getting ready to spray the final paint, but since the clear has isocyantes (kinda like cigs) and there is a pretty good chance it'll affect my health, I chose (there's that word again) to buy a supplied air system rather than take the chance that it will not kill me. Plus I'm a bit too tight with my money to piss away $5 a pack on anything. Hope this clears things up, smoke 'em if ya got, 'em...

Well you have to admit that you came off pretty self righteous there. I have no doubt you would give up your car if it brought harm to your family, my point was what about the damage YOU KNOW it is doing to the environment though and millions that breath the air, not just how it affects you personally. Isn't that a stupid thing to continue doing then? I personally happen to know several people who avoided smoke there whole life and still have lung cancer, my own grandmother ate bacon and eggs every day, whiskey every night and butts all day and died at 98. My best friend was a freakin health nut and died of heart failure at 34. I realized at that point that a long life with no experiences and pleasure was not a life at all and that life no matter how short was meant to be lived. It's all a crap shoot and we all do things we KNOW are not good for us wether it's woofing down a big mac eating red meat or drinking a coke. It's easy to preach when you don't partake, like sober folks that just can't understand why you want to enjoy a drink once in a while when you KNOW it will damage your liver. Do you have money to waste on alchohol or are you sober too? When your kids turn 21 are you going to suggest that they never touch alchohol to their lips because it is addictive to some and so it is better to never ever try it than take a chance? I myself have been weening myself off cigarettes for years now becasue I know if I quit cold turkey it won't stick (I've tried that dozens of times). Over the past 3 years I have gone from a pack a day to a pack a week and eventually I will be rid of it becasue I KNOW I do not need it and it's not good for me, but I simply could not help taking offense to being lumped togehter with every other smoker in the world as nothing more than a stupid person. I am simply as we all our, abundantly human and weak when it comes to some things. We all have weaknesses of some type but that doesn't make us stupid. BTW, for the simple answer to why all the smokers haven't just come to their senses and quit, you need not look any further than your own signature.

zookeeper said:
Let's see if I can clarify my admittedly harsh response a bit before I send the smokers and chewers from going into shock. First, I personally don't care whether someone chooses to use tobacco or not, if it turns you on, and you're not doing it in my house, fine. The problem I have is with people starting a KNOWN ADDICTIVE HABIT, then whining because they can't quit. Don't use starting young, or doing it to relieve stress as an excuse. Everyone was young and we all experience stress, so why doesn't everone smoke? Also, I like Max Powers attitude, he does it because he LIKES it! He also realizes that it's a CHOICE that HE consciously makes, he is not under alien control, or the victim of some high-level government plot. Pakrat seems to think I am a self riteous butthead with no feelings at all towards other's problems. I did not say that, what I said is also said in the Bible, "as you reap, so shall you sew". Kid Rock also said it, "you get what you put in, and people get what they deserve". Got money problems? Quit spending money like it's got an expiration date on it. Wife leave you? Quit sleeping with other women. Kids out of control? Look in the mirror to see what they're looking to for an example. Pak also seems to think cars rule my life to the point of addiction and that I could not give them up. Not quite, Marlboro man. If my car was causing my family to suffer, or there was a better than average chance it someday would (like smoking) it would be gone tomorrow, bet on it. It's just a car, no more, no less. When I'm not working with anything hazardous, my 3 year old son likes to go out to the shop with me, so it's a little family time. I'm getting ready to spray the final paint, but since the clear has isocyantes (kinda like cigs) and there is a pretty good chance it'll affect my health, I chose (there's that word again) to buy a supplied air system rather than take the chance that it will not kill me. Plus I'm a bit too tight with my money to piss away $5 a pack on anything. Hope this clears things up, smoke 'em if ya got, 'em...

One day, all the tree hugging hippie types that ate tofoo all their lives, never smoked, never drank, had sex twice and have 2 children will be laying in a hospital bed dying from nothing and the doctors won't know what to do.

At least when I am dying it will be off a popular illness that medical professionals are working on right now to remedy :)

First things first I am glad you guys are keeping this relatively sane and not resorting to personal attacks and stupid childish comments.

I know Hop you posted on information to reduce health risks for smoking and specifically chewing. But it's degraded into a discussion on personal choice to smoke. Here's my take on this albiet brief. What people choose to do is their choice especially if they know the consequences of thier actions (whether it would be going 100+ mph on the open sea or smoking/chewing for 30 years).

But what i hate is people who smoke in public with no regards to who is around them or in the vacinity. I am an asthmatic by birth. It's taken me 2 months of working every day to be able to jog 3/4 a mile consistanly without inducing an attack. And 10 years of building up my air capacity to play music.All that hard work goes out the window if somebody near me lites up a cigarette or cigar.

The smoke triggers a harsh asthma attack that usually brings me to the ground not being able to breath at all. I have to go through so many 'tricks' and immediate medicine to be able to start breathing again before i pass out due to lack of oxygen. For those who do not know what an asthma attack is like, next time you're at a bar pick up one of those cocktail stirring straws, pinch your nose, and try taking a deep breath by drawing air through that straw. Then imagine searing pain throughout your chest and it feels like fire running through my arteries. After the attack is over I feel weak and sick for days afterwards.

Although with all the exercise and air capacity build-up I've built up enough of a 'resistance' that if somebody lites up next to me I have about 30 seconds to walk quickly away before the attack starts. But that's taken years of conditioning which most asthmatics don't have. That's why I don't stay around or ride with smokers at all.

A lot of smokers here in phoenix get very angry if you ask them not to smoke around you (even if i explain what happens to me if they do). That is why i'm a big supporter of the movment here in phoenix to ban smoking in public places and businesses. I can actually go out to restaraunts now, which is nice.

Another hting that irritates me about some smokers (ok most) are the people who flick used butts on the ground (i.e. litering)instead of making sure they are out then throwing them away properly.

Anyways.. i'll stop rambling and get back to work now. Carry on and keep this conversatin sane and clean.

And let's not forget all of the smokers that when throwing their butts out the window start fires. I was riding with a local john darm one night and some lame smoker tossed a but out the window and he got pulled over and cited for throwing a flaming object out of a moving vehicle. I loved it. :nice: :rlaugh:

oboebrian said:
First things first I am glad you guys are keeping this relatively sane and not resorting to personal attacks and stupid childish comments.
I FOR ONE HAVE BEEN BITING MY TOUNGE EVER SINCE PAK JOINED IN, NOT BECAUSE HES HERE, BUT BECAUSE HIS AVATAR IS STILL INSULTING TO ANY TRUE CHRISTIAN THAT HAPPENS TO BE HERE. HIS ARGUMENT HERE IS VALID, HIS AVATAR SIMPLY DISCREDITS HIM AS A PERSON AND A CHRISTIAN IF HE IS ONE. UNTIL IT IS CHANGED, EVERY POST FRENCHY MAKES IS A PERSONAL ATTACK ON ME, AND YOU AS WELL AS EVERYONE HERE KNOWS IT.

I know Hop you posted on information to reduce health risks for smoking and specifically chewing.

INDEED I DID. I HOPE IT HELPS SOMEONE OUT.

But what i hate is people who smoke in public with no regards to who is around them or in the vacinity.
ME TOO.
YOU GUYS THAT SMOKE REALLY SHOULD GIVE THIS SWEDISH SNUS A SHOT. WHEN TOBACCO IS IGNITED , IT RELEASES CARCINOGENS AND TSNA'S IN PROFOUND AMOUNTS. SNUS CAN KILL THE CRAVING, WITHOUT THE RISKS. THATS THE WHOLE PURPOSE BEHIND THIS THREAD.

:banana:

I kinda think Pak and I are argueing the same side, so in that light, let me rephrase my (seemingly) self riteous words. People that smoke are obviously not all stupid. However, it's possible that they are brilliant people who are doing stupid things. I think that sounds better, and doesn't make me seem like a jackhole (even though I may well be). Also, while I've never smoked, both my parents did until about 10-12 years ago. I was amazed at how smoking affects everything in the house once I began to notice. For instance, I used to buy a hardcover roadracing annual. The ones that I had when I lived at home are yellowed, while the ones that I bought afterwards remained white, even though they are about the same age and were always in my room, which was smoke-free. I never noticed it, but a freind of mine recently told me that when he was in high school, his girlfriend could always tell when he'd been to my parents house, because he smelled of smoke. Like Oboe, I have asthma and one of the really big triggers is cigarettes. I took my son to a Monster truck show (Redneck heaven) and even though there wasn't anyone smoking within 20 feet of me, a couple a few rows down was and when the breeze was right, I got a whiff, and by the end of the nite, my lungs hurt. I hate to sound like a candyass, but if I were farting bad enough to be smelled 20 feet away, I wonder if people would mind. Also Pak, I do drink occasionally (I have a weakness for Corona!) and if I smoked as often as I drink (a couple of beers every couple weeks) I doubt I'd see it as a problem. One of the things I mentioned earlier is the fact that cigs don't affect everyone the same, just like the isocyanate-hardned clears I'm going to use on my car. Some people paint for years and never see any adverse reactions, some get exposed once and they'll suffer from the effects for the rest of their life. Again it's your life, your lungs, your choice. As far as Tyler's comment, I assume it was meant for me. Sounds a lot like what my parents used to sound like. They don't say that much anymore, hopefully you won't think that way forever. I also agree with Oz (welcome back BTW!), I live in some pretty green area that becomes pretty brown area this time of year, so I'm very familiar with wildfires. In fact, I live close enough to a small airstrip that the CDF bombers use during fireseason, and they fly 24/7 during a forest fire. Last I heard, the bomber pilots made $150 per hour when flying, $75 per when they're on call, who do you think pays that? Ok, sermon's over, hope I didn't offend anyone with my preaching, but at least you always know where I stand! :D

just to clear the air :D i am an ashmatic as well, i sometimes have pretty bad attacks too, though they are few and far between now. i also have very bad back pain from degenerative disc disease and arthritis as well, so smoking actually helps me take my mind off the pain for a while, gives something to do so i don't think about it so much if you will. yes, i agree smoking is a stupid thing to do, my grandfather (not the one who shot the cigarettes from his buddies mouths) died of lung cancer as did my step grandfather who married my grandmother after my grandafther died and also my aunt on my step dads side. so i know firsthande the dangers involved and one day i will quit, that day is just not today. also when i started i was young and stupid and was doing it to be cool, which i didn't really need to smoke to do i was already cool :D and i am not blaming my ignorance or stupidity on anyone or anything even those in family who smoked, i was using them as an example. so go ahead and flame away if you want and tell me doubly stupid i am for smoking when i have lost so many people in my family from it and also since i am an asthmatic too. the point is it's my life butt out. if i were to light up in front of anyone and they told me they didn't like it or had a reaction to it i would certainly put it out and try not to offend anyone. people are all up in arms about non-smokers rights, well we smokers have rights too. in fact one of our countries main exports and "cash crops" during the beginning of our country was tobacco it was one of things that has made America one of the wealthiest countries in the world :flag: , so lets try not to forget that shall we. point is if you don't like me or someone else smoking around you, ask them politely to put it out, most people will, if you are rude about however most people will yell you to cram up it your a$$ and offer to help you. anyway for all the non-smokers who love to tell all of us smokers how stupid we are, remember this, we may be stupid but at least we know it. the preceding message was a public service announcement for the shut the hell up and was directed at no one in particular (even zoo and gp, they're my buddies :nice: )

bnickel said:
just to clear the air :D i am an ashmatic as well,
my grandfather (not the one who shot the cigarettes from his buddies mouths) died of lung cancer as did my step grandfather who married my grandmother after my grandafther died and also my aunt on my step dads side. so i know firsthande the dangers involved
: )

Most of the Swedes have kicked smoking by using the stuff I posted about, and since lung cancer is in your family, do give it a try and see if works for you. Nothing to lose///

By the way , I had to edit this,,, has anyone other than me noticed the sacreligious avatar that was once a Speed Racer?