Does 95 Gt Have A Knock Sensor ?

• Sponsors (?)

thanks. the reason I'm asking is that I'd like to find a simple way to determain as I tune if I'm adding too much advance. I have a tweecer, but its not an RT. I have a WB and I could probably log the knock sensor if I had one. I did see somewhere else that I may be able to add one, but it sounds sketchy as to what the signal looks like.

Reactions: 1 user
Add-on knock sensors don't usually work very well. In production, a lot of work goes into setting filters to sort out spark knock from mechanical noise and the acquisition window is usually tied to a range around each cylinder's combustion event on smart systems with individual cylinder knock control.

You're best bet for tuning your car is to try and listen for it. This can be difficult if your exhaust is really loud, quieter exhaust is a lot easier, but if the knock is bad enough you'll hear it. It sounds like marbles bouncing around in your engine. If you hear it, back off the throttle and dial back your spark advance at that load / speed point or load / speed range. If you have any question about what it sounds like, you could try over-advancing your distributor by a couple of degrees, take your car out and slowly ramp into the throttle in high gear / low rpm, then back out quickly when you hear the knock clatter. Don't go crazy here, only bump it a degree or two at a time, once you cross the knock threshold the intensity goes up fast.

Another option which usually only works with Swiss-cheesed race cars is to run a thin walled copper plumbing pipe though the firewall. Smash one end and bolt it down solid to the side of the engine block, then run the other end through the firewall with some sort of rubber grommet or isolator. This method can pickup mechanical ticks too, but if you get a good ping-tick under load then it's spark knock. It will sound like someone is under the hood tapping the tube with screwdriver. This method works EXTREMELY well, but it's not really safe or practical for street cars.

Also keep in mind that your knock threshold shifts to lower spark angles with increasing air temp and coolant temperature. It also shifts greatly with AFR.

Thanks for the suggestions. Car is drag only. Looking to fine tune at this point. The only things I can really do at this point is tweek the fuel and spark. Neither of those parameters have been changed from stock. As I mentioned I have a tweecer and have made made most of the recommended changes to the tune, trans, emissions, etc. I've installed a WB and need to make small changes to fuel/spark. How much is the "safeguard" box ???? Not looking to just throw cash at the car.........I'm tight with a nickle, what can I say, haha