Dome Light Problems Need Help

K mustang

Aug 20, 2015
First off I would like to say thanks for welcoming me to your forums. Now on to the problem......

I have an '03 mustang and the dome light is acting crazy. If I get in the car and start it right up the dome light is staying on. But if I wait on the dome light to go off automatically it will stay off.

When I take the key out, exit the car, and wait the dome light goes off.

So I know it can't be the dimmer roller switch, it can't be any doors left open, or the switch on the dome light itself. I've checked and rechecked those things.

And the fact that it will go off and stay off while the car is running if I wait for it to go off automatically before starting makes me think it is something that I know nothing about.

Can anyone help?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, in normal operation, the dome light should go out as soon as you close the door if the key is on or engine running. So your symptom means that somebody with a decent scanner that can talk to the car's Generic Electronic Module (Body Control Module in Ford speak) will have to investigate. There is also the possibility that the driver's door ajar switch in the latch assembly is sticking or faulty which is infamous on Ford products.