Dome light stays on.

dmontzsta

Founding Member
Aug 6, 2001
SoCal
Anyone else experience this? or have a fix for it? Lately it has been staying on a while driving. Today it is just crazy, it will not shut off, it is on right now in sitting in the parking lot at work. What can I do?

• Sponsors (?)

Anyone else experience this? or have a fix for it? Lately it has been staying on a while driving. Today it is just crazy, it will not shut off, it is on right now in sitting in the parking lot at work. What can I do?

Turn the headlight/dash dimmer switch to the right and turn it off, might not be the problem but it has been done before by people on here.

lol happened to me, so i just took the bulb out :D but seriously, try the wd-40 like these guys said.

I tried the wd-40 also with no luck, ive had my bulb out for years. If anybody wants to post up a write up on how to replace the mechanism....that would be cool. Not a big deal for me, I havent had one in so long but if I knew what I was doing I might try to replace it when i get some extra time.

I have the same issue with mine, but worse. The door ajar chime also sounds. At first it was just the dome light was on all the time, but now its to the point it flickers off and on, and when it does that the door ajar chime also sounds off, every time it flickers.

During one of the rare times that the light HAS shut off, I opened the driver door and it activated the light and turned off when the door was shut. So I know its at least not the driver door.

Is there a fuse I can pull? I don't really need the dome light anyways. And I feel Im at least smart enough to know when my door is ajar, so I don't need the chime for it.

Well......You could just remove the dome light bulb itself.....

But the problem is depending upon the model year your car has a single door switch that controls all of the functions tied to the door ajar switch. So the problem will remain with the door chime and key minder.

Pulling the fuse to the GEM will disable the GEM outright and stop the "other" things that the GEM controls (one touch window, delay wipers, dome light delay, among others).

Another option is to defeat the door ajar switch with a scrap piece of wire "jumped" across the door ajar switch contacts. This could either be done inside the door or at the GEM. The problem that I see with this option is by time you go to the trouble to remove the door panel you might as well FIX the door ajar switch.

The GEM is not a cake walk to get at under the dash either.

IMO it would be sooooo much better to FIX the underlying issue. Which as others have stated is most likely water infiltration into the door latch mechanism. A little WD40 and some "one on one" time with your car should fix it right up. This gives a car in good repair instead of a hacked up one.

Ive trie the WD40 and silicon spray trick, to no avail. And I do have some leaks, or plugs, like many of the 2004 convertibles have. Working on pulling up the carpet right now and looking for the holes that are letting in the water.

On the leaks.....it is unlikely that water is coming in from the floor. Most likely leak area for verts is the rear window area. Under the loose flap on the side of the rear window, there is the possibility of a hole near the bottom of that area in the top material. Also if the top is loose at the lower edge of the rear glass, it may leak. I also had a leak in one where the top latches to the windshield.