Dont Know If I Have Enough Hair Left To Pull Out. Need Help With My 95 5.0 5 Speed Gt

justmatt

Mar 28, 2015
hey everyone.

here it is I have a 95 GT 5.0 5 speed. The guy I bought it from didn't know if it had any mods or not, he bought it just to go to the drags with. I can tell ya I can hit 120 mph in a hurry in 4th gear at 3200 rpms and its still pulling hard. with that sayed my issue now is that the other day it just started to run real bad and it just died. it flooded so bad it would not start even holding it to the floor. so I got to playing around with it and I un hooked the TPS and held it to the floor and it started and sat there for an hour just purring away. so naturally I assumed it was the TPS so I bought one and hooked it up started the car and straight to flood. I then took the throttle body off cleaned the IAC and throttle body and as much of the inside of intake as I could. I also changed ECT sensor. cleaned MAF as well. I took the computer out to see if there was a chip but no chip. I happen to smell the computer and it has a burnt smell to it. do ya think that might be my next purchase? with the TPS un hooked I can drive the car all day long but when I stop and shut it off and go back to start it it will jump up to 2500 rpms for a few seconds and drop right down to 900rpms. sometimes after shutting it off and re starting it it will start bucking for maybe 3 or 4 minutes and then will smooth out and run great. any ideas im at a loss.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm at a loss with your symptoms. To me it sounds like an ignition problem -- needs plugs, coil, TFI, or PIP replaced. I don't think the TPS could possibly cause / fix the symptoms you're experiencing, unless you have a scary bad ground someplace (always good to check). I'd run a KOEO test to check the health of your computer and all its sensors. Pull the codes and let us know what you find.

No codes come up other then the TPS being unplugged. i don't think ignition because i have the TPS unplugged and i can drive the car all day long. sometimes its a bit hard to start after i shut it off but other then that it runs better then it did when i bought it.

How do you know it's flooding....are you smelling fuel? If so, pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator and see if its wet with gasoline. It may have a bad diaphragm and fuel is leaking past? If you've got a fuel pressure gauge to do a leak down test on your fuel rail, even better.

TFI modules are a known headache for 5.0L's, but not so much the '95-'95's as they've been relocated from the distributor, to underneath the airbox to keep them away from heat.

Try unplugging the MAF meter as well and seeing how it runs without it. A bad MAF meter can display some of these symptoms.

Make sure your TPS sensor is plugged in again first. I'll assume you've tried all previous methods with your "new" sensor in place?