Door Hinges 1968

• Sponsors (?)

68 was the first year of the stamped steel hinges ,...Junk ! Sometimes you will only find stamped steel hinges on the top hinge and the bottom hinge is still the heavy cast hinge .67 hinges are the same only they are both the heavy cast hinge .Find a set of the 67s and rebuild them

thanks for the help if you were going to buy brand new who would you buy them threw
David, I've got a driver side door sag on my '67 vert and want to do the same thing. I had a pair of hinges I was going to buy off of summitracing.com, but after what horse sense said, I'm not going through with it. Can you let me know if you find an alternative? I'll do the same if I do.

Since you didn't say what the problem was with your original hinges, I'm assuming it's bushings. A rebuild kit that includes bushings and pins is cheap and easy to install. Remove hinge, tap out pin, tap out bushing, reverse procedure, install hinge, line up door, smile. Mine lasted from 1968 to 2001 when I rebuilt them, having survived countless slams in those 33 years. I treat the car with respect so the rebuilt hinges will likely last as long as I live or until I sell the car, whichever comes first.

Reactions: 1 user
Since you didn't say what the problem was with your original hinges, I'm assuming it's bushings. A rebuild kit that includes bushings and pins is cheap and easy to install. Remove hinge, tap out pin, tap out bushing, reverse procedure, install hinge, line up door, smile. Mine lasted from 1968 to 2001 when I rebuilt them, having survived countless slams in those 33 years. I treat the car with respect so the rebuilt hinges will likely last as long as I live or until I sell the car, whichever comes first.
Unfortunately, I'm not positive what the problem is. I have a sag, and I REALLY hope the rebuild will help. The video was a HUGE help! If the bushings are wasted and it caused oblong holes, the search will begin for some OG hinges, I guess.

Open the door and lift up and down on the end of the door ,if the hinge bushings are bad you will know .sagging usually is worn bushings .The problem with the stamped steel 68 hinges is there is not enough area for the bushings and the stamped hinges cut through them .The 67s will last for years .

Reactions: 1 user