Door window coming unglued from tracks

triggz

Founding Member
May 15, 2002
Gadsden, AL
My window has been screwed up for a while, when I roll it up the back end was sitting up too high and I had to shove it down to make the door shut right.. I finally took the door apart tonight and found this:

b1.jpg

But I cant remove this bracket to clean the old silicone off because that rivet is not in a way I can get any tools to it.. should I just gob more silicone on there and see if it holds?

I also have this bracket, which I THINK came from this door.. it might have come from my grandmothers '95 maxima as well, which had some window problems as well. I cant find any spots on my window that are missing a bracket :dunno: (I torched the old silicone off, so it looks a little rough).

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Search for my thread about replacing window regulator. It has some pictures and suggestions that I think will help you.

Trying to glue the track back to the glass usually does not work. The best fix is new glass with new track.

You will have to deal with rivets but it will not be as bad as you think.

Search for my thread about replacing window regulator. It has some pictures and suggestions that I think will help you.

Trying to glue the track back to the glass usually does not work. The best fix is new glass with new track.

You will have to deal with rivets but it will not be as bad as you think.

A whole new glass?! That's crazy, it has to be reglueable for a fraction of that cost. That's like replacing your engine if the valve cover comes loose :eek:

I have commercial grade silicone on it now..if it comes apart again I'll try the 3M stuff.

Couldn't hurt to try the 3M stuff Randy recommends. I used a recommended two part epoxy (I don't remeber the brand) , and it failed in a couple days.

Alabama is a hot climate , as is Florida. I don't think the glue holds up so well down here.

I finally called an auto glass place who had the Mustang windows in stock, and they installed the window for a reasonable price. He also had the special rivet gun for the re-installation.

Good luck.

glass shop as in a place that sells and installs windshields i would assume? we have some auto glass people come by work every now and then and i never thought to ask them

same exact thing happened to mine, tried the two part epoxy and that lasted 2 days with the first day letting it dry.
i thought about drilling a hole thru the glass, thru the bracket and riveting it in like the other 2, then i realized i have a 9.6v makita drill with black&decker drill bits, that idea lasted all of 3 minutes

Advanced Auto has the 3M glue for a window that Randy talked about...it worked for my wife's window (here in hot FL), but we failed to removed all the old residual glue and couldn't get it seated all the way down...sooo, now it rides up too high. This job can be a DIY project, but it takes patience. I used Killy's thread and pics as a guide...good stuff.

yes super the guys who come out to install windsheilds and such can do it, but if youve tried the two part epoxy the 3m stuff will fail a lot sooner then what the glass shop will use. if you can catch the installer at the right time he may do it on the side and only charge around 30 or 40 bucks, shoot man its an easy fix id do it for 40 bucks if you live in around the denver, nc. are

i thought about drilling a hole thru the glass, thru the bracket and riveting it in like the other 2, then i realized i have a 9.6v makita drill with black&decker drill bits, that idea lasted all of 3 minutes

I attempted several different types of glues, epoxies, jb weld, and replacing them completely with solid junkyard windows (none of which lasted more than a couple days). I tried this on my wife's car as an act of sheer desperation. I bought some glass drill bits and taped over the area to try and avoid cracking. After carefully drilling about 10 minutes I stopped about halfway through, I walked around to the other side of the glass to get a drink and heard what I can only describe as a firecracker pop and change rolling across concrete. I turned around to find 3/4 of the window missing from the work table. The drill point caused the safety glass to explode in the direction of where I would have been standing if I hadn't moved when I did. I ended up putting the old glass back in and have since given up until I can afford some new windows.

I attempted several different types of glues, epoxies, jb weld, and replacing them completely with solid junkyard windows (none of which lasted more than a couple days). I tried this on my wife's car as an act of sheer desperation. I bought some glass drill bits and taped over the area to try and avoid cracking. After carefully drilling about 10 minutes I stopped about halfway through, I walked around to the other side of the glass to get a drink and heard what I can only describe as a firecracker pop and change rolling across concrete. I turned around to find 3/4 of the window missing from the work table. The drill point caused the safety glass to explode in the direction of where I would have been standing if I hadn't moved when I did. I ended up putting the old glass back in and have since given up until I can afford some new windows.

Yep. Good ol tempered glass lol! When I worked at a glass shop, we would throw away old sheets of tempered glass. Usually from double-pane door glass (sliding patio doors, steel doors which glass, etc). We would put it in the dumpster and then take a glass cutter and just score it anywhere we wanted, then walk away. Within an hour or so, you could go back and it would have shattered. All glass on a vehicle is like this, except for the windshield, which is laminated glass. Laminated is basically just 2 sheets of plate glass with a thin layer of plastic between them.

As for gluing the window back on its bracket, we always just replaced the glass when this happened. However, I did have success gluing one back in an old car many years ago. I don't recall what I used, but it held great. I had the car for quite a few years after that and never gave it another thought. I wish I could remember what I used. Having said that, I will be the first to admit that there has been a LOT of advancement in adhesive chemicals over the last 20 years. If I was going to try and do this today, I'd try and find the stuff made specifically for it. Or, I would try "The Right Stuff" (rtv sealant) or the heavy-duty yellow weatherstrip adhesive. Both are flexible and strong.