Drive Shaft Vibration

15GTrob

5 Year Member
Aug 23, 2015
i've replaced my two piece with a solid drive shaft shop aluminum drive shaft. I'm getting a decent amount of vibration between 40 and 60 MPH. I'm concerned the vibration will cause damage to other components like trans or rearend. I've reached out to DSS. I'll post what I find.

• Sponsors (?)

After a few emails they sent an attachment explaining that the 6 bolt cv adapter is NOT an optional piece of equipment and that the space between the end of the shaft and the adapter ring should be between 3-1/4" and 3-3/4" if any longer or short DO NOT RUN THE SHAFT.
DSS.jpg

Did you have vibration with the stock driveshaft? I do with my new V6. Hopefully they can fix it. There is lots of talk on this on another Mustang forum. There is even a Ford service rep active on that thread escalating our concerns to help get them fixed. Once you swap a driveshaft, you're on your own. At this point, you need to check half shafts and most common culprit is the rear pinion flange, which is a cheap part I hear. They are commonly out of round so the shaft spins in an elliptical pattern. No balancing will fix that.

I'm fairly positive it's the drive shaft. I installed axles, wheels and tires a week before installing the drive shaft and didn't have any vibration. Now after installing drive shaft I have vibration. I even installed the old wheels and tires and the vibration is still there.

After a few emails they sent an attachment explaining that the 6 bolt cv adapter is NOT an optional piece of equipment and that the space between the end of the shaft and the adapter ring should be between 3-1/4" and 3-3/4" if any longer or short DO NOT RUN THE SHAFT.
DSS.jpg
This is interesting.... My shaft will not fit with the adapter, it's too long. I've had the trans and rear hanging to get it in place and no go. Without the spacer I'm right at the maximum measurement they recommend. Granted, mine is more of a noise issue than anything else. Frustrating that no one is one the same page over there. I'm about to the point to find another company to make a shaft and tell them to shove it as they have been less than interested in working on a fix with me

This is interesting.... My shaft will not fit with the adapter, it's too long. I've had the trans and rear hanging to get it in place and no go. Without the spacer I'm right at the maximum measurement they recommend. Granted, mine is more of a noise issue than anything else. Frustrating that no one is one the same page over there. I'm about to the point to find another company to make a shaft and tell them to shove it as they have been less than interested in working on a fix with me
Well that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies lol. I haven't had time to get up under my car yet and measure. at 55 mph I sound like I have a sub woofer in my car that's humming at like 50 Hz but I can also feel the rest of the car vibrating. I hope they can remedy this I don't think stock will handle the abuse and I don't know of any other company making Drive Shafts =*(

Well that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies lol. I haven't had time to get up under my car yet and measure. at 55 mph I sound like I have a sub woofer in my car that's humming at like 50 Hz but I can also feel the rest of the car vibrating. I hope they can remedy this I don't think stock will handle the abuse and I don't know of any other company making Drive Shafts =*(
If you can help it, I would suggest not driving the car much until you either fix the issue or switch back to the stock driveshaft. It looks like you are sitting at or close to a shaft resonance and the last thing you want is a driveshaft shattering at speed. Even though its just humming along right now, you don't want to continue adding vibration cycles to the shaft. Granted, what I am describing is a worst case scenario and most things can handle a large amount of cycles but I don't know the requirements the shaft designers used. I don't see why the stock driveshaft wouldn't handle your car under normal driving conditions. Just don't hit the gas too hard.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

This leads me to hypothesize that the more important factor is that measurement and not the adapter. I wonder if the intent of the adapter is simply to bring the spacing down between the shaft and support...although it's odd that it didn't fit on your car if that's the case. Bringing the distance between supports on a shaft down should push resonance frequencies higher. I'm guessing it pushes it above the expected operating speeds. Regardless, it sounds like DSS needs to be more attentive to you both and provide some answers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Fortunately it's not my daily driver. Did you really suggest not hitting the gas hard???? LOL I bought this car as a toy so I plan on romping on it pretty much all the time. I get what you're saying though don't get on it if stock driveshaft is in it. I hope they can help me find a solution.

I actually had a lengthy discussion with them yesterday after posting here. Their position as of yesterday is they are no longer using the spacer with the newer shafts. They have also changed the design of the shaft to eliminate the 1 1350 joint and go to a design that uses 2 cv joints instead. Come to find out, when I ordered my parts in November of 2014 they were still working on the design. Long story short I will be upgrading my shaft to the double cv design in hopes to resolve my problem. I am happy to report they are working on this with me and I"ll be sure to post the outcome.

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished up with them as well and didn't hear anything about the design but they are sending me a shipping label and have requested I send the shaft back to be checked. I would love for them to send me a NEW replacement. *FINGERS CROSSED*

Reactions: 1 user
I went thru two months of problems with my DSS aluminum driveshaft on my auto '15 L.E. Bought it in December and no matter what I did it would vibrate between 60 to 80 mph. I even dialed it in using runout gauges and still vibrate. Call dss and found the the earlier '15 shafts where 3.5" dia. And they had resonance issues so they switched to 4" dia and a little thicker tubing so I returned my 3.5" for a 4" inch. I put my stock shaft back in for now. I'll try the new shaft in a week or so.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5

I've had the flu since Friday. I went to NMRA in baradenton and had to leave early I spent the rest of Saturday and Sunday in bed. Hopefully get some wrenching done today or tomorrow.

Got the driveshaft out and shipped to DSS. They didn't give me any details other than they have revised the design to be 4" and they are shipping me a new one. :)