Driveshaft Bolts

bdazzgt

I had to jerk off the cable to get it to stop.
Dec 27, 2005
Springfield MO
What size and thread type are the driveshaft bolts that bolt to the axle? What would a good replacement bolt size be? I need thread size and everything about the bolt,

• Sponsors (?)

Good tip from Chris. The dealer even offers them for a not-completely retarded price. With something like those bolts, you don't wanna play games.

Good luck.

I need these by tuesday, so if anyone knows the thread size length, that would be awsome i will get some good hardened bolts, i just have to have these because i cant get my car going w/o them... thanks for the link i will look into that in the future.

I think I only paid 6 or 7 bucks for those Bolts from the Local Ford Dealer and they already have yellow thread locker on them, BTW the Torque on those Bolts is 71-95 Ft. Lbs.

Shakerhood said:
I think I only paid 6 or 7 bucks for those Bolts from the Local Ford Dealer and they already have yellow thread locker on them, BTW the Torque on those Bolts is 71-95 Ft. Lbs.

Hmm….I always thought the torque was 3 big whacks with a 5-pound mini sledge on the 12-point box end wrench. :shrug:

I always like to follow the Service Manual and use a Torque Wrench for something that is a Major Safety Item like the Drive Shaft, that isnt a place to be guessing on torque.

Shakerhood said:
I always like to follow the Service Manual and use a Torque Wrench for something that is a Major Safety Item like the Drive Shaft, that isnt a place to be guessing on torque.

I would have too…but with a 12 point socket and the 1/2" drive torque wrench….there was no possible way to get a straight fit onto the bolt.

the local ford dealer had them for 2.02 each so now it is time to fire the car up maybe tonight depends on what time i get out of class, i will try and get a video or sound clip....

Shakerhood said:
Try a Swivel Socket and it will work.
Or if you support the vehicle weird like I do, the DS angle is such that a 3/8" ratchet, short wobble extension and short socket have room.

Shakerhood said:
Try a Swivel Socket and it will work.

It's always been my understanding that no swivel attachment should be used on a torque wrench…as they effectively alter the readings. I would think that any type of deflection or movement could have a detrimental effect on the reading of the torque wrench.

If you support the car on the rear axle, the driveshaft will move into a position where you can get a regular socket on it with a 1/2" torque wrench. You just have to rotate it after you hit each bolt. Just be careful with the jack stands on the axle.