DYNO RESULTS FOR 99 COBRA

chuckystang

Jul 12, 2004
I just had my car dynoed and it put down 281 horses and 273 pound feet at the wheels but Im not sure what kind of a dyno it was. This is on a 99 without the fix but it has steeda pullies, chip, cold air, bassani x pipe, flowmasters, and 410's. I wanted to know what you guys thought about those numbers and if there is anything I can do to improve them without a blower/turbo/nitrous?? Also I figure I should multiply those number by 15% and then add to get the 320 or so it should have made from the factory right?

• Sponsors (?)

Also, what do you guys think it could run in the 1/4 with street tires and 410 gears? Also I noticed that on the highway it would pull real hard but does not seem to like to cruise at 80 plus mph :( with those gears. I just had em put in... :D

How come you don't have the fix? Is there a time table where they will not honor it anymore. I thought all 99's are supposed to have the fix, and if yours doesn't I would try to get it. :shrug: Some more power there to be had. :D

From what I have heard, Ford will no longer perform the fix, that ended after your warranty I believe and also they would not touch my car with those mods. But I would imagine if I had my intake acid dipped or whatever that maybe it would flow that much better and probably make like 5 more hp tops. So Im not too concerned with that, but do you guys think those are good numbers? haha I need an ego boost for my 99 that always hides in the shadows of the 01 becuase of the stupid "fix" haha well I hope I can find time to get to the track so I can see what it will do...I just put 410's in so I hope that will give me 3 or 4 tenths... :D

Whats a mustang dyno? This was DezRacing in MA so I know it must be the right kind of dyno. The owner before me told me it had not had the fix, but I have not called and asked Ford myself...

those numbers sound really low. I have also heard that every 99 cobra had the fix done to them. my 99 cobra only really has 2 performance mods, long tubes and cai. and with those it dynoed at 300 rwtq and 300 rwhp, and it was so rich it was off the scale so with a chip and some tuning I should pick up a few more ponies.

sorry dude but the dyno your car was on was something out of the norm or was messed up, the highest a 99 or 01 cobra will dyno with not really any serious mods is about 288 to the wheels. Your 300 rear wheel horespower is literally impossible without internal modifications like new cams and higherflowing cylinder heads.
What you are saying is that your 99 makes 353 horses at the crank. simply not gona happen with just bolt ons. Getting to the 300 mark at the wheels without a power adder is very difficult and expensive so Im going to have to throw the bs on this one :nono:

chuckystang said:
sorry dude but the dyno your car was on was something out of the norm or was messed up, the highest a 99 or 01 cobra will dyno with not really any serious mods is about 288 to the wheels. Your 300 rear wheel horespower is literally impossible without internal modifications like new cams and higherflowing cylinder heads.
What you are saying is that your 99 makes 353 horses at the crank. simply not gona happen with just bolt ons. Getting to the 300 mark at the wheels without a power adder is very difficult and expensive so Im going to have to throw the bs on this one :nono:

what are you smoking? every full bolt on 99 and 01 cobra i usually in the 310-320 rwhp range. i was at 300 rwhp with just midpipe, catback, pullies and cai. its very easy to do. you must be thinking of 96-98 cobras.

This is absolutely amazing, every single 99-01 cobra I have ever seen or heard of on here with proof!! Has not hit the 300 REAL WHEEL HORSPOWER level WITHOUT INTERNAL MODS -until someone can prove me wrong I am holding to it. There was a thread on here not too long ago I think in svt talk about dyno results and 99-01 cobras and there were valid sources that backed me up. What dyno did you use. The 01 engines stock made 272 real wheel horsepower, you are not going to get 300 plus at the wheels with just an exhaust and/or intake like you mentioned...you have to have internal mods to get that kind of power to the ground on a naturally aspirated cobra and that goes for all of them 96-98 and 99-01. Im not trying to be pesimistic or a**hole here but I really am shocked! Aslo every top mechanic I have talked to has agreed with me...Someone posted a cobra on here with 288 and most people said he was lieing and that was only 288...you are talking about 300 to the wheels...maybe at the motor haha. My car has about 331 horses at the motor but figure in 15% drivetrain loss and you have my 281. Besides the few people that posted on this thread I have not come across those kind of numbers anywhere else unless serious work was done to the inside...like cams, higherflowing heads, throttle body, massair...you get the picture. By the way the 96-98 cobras make about 260-270 at the wheels, the 99-01 make about 270-290 stock, and a car with just a full exhuast and intake are still stock in my book. ONLY on the 03/04 cobras do you get crazy gains from just the exhuast and intake mods...because of their supercharger and VERY restrictive intake and exhuast! Thanks .... :bang:

before this get nasty lets clear some things up. when i say stock, i mean stock, off the show room floor. Stock, 99-01 cobras dynoed 270-280 rwhp. agreed???

With off road midpipe, and catback, CAI, pullies and a tune with my tweecer. I dynoed right at 300 rwhp. i think it was 302 or something like that. This was on a dynojet. MY cobra has the fix. I can post my chart if you want later tonight. Most people i have seen with similar mods dyno about the same.

Now, back to your original question. I know in the fix the intake was either acid dipped or if you got lucky extrude honed. They also changed catback and reflashed the computer. Seems like you got the last 2 taken care of so far so i would work on the intake. I think you might want to invest in getting your intake ported and polished. If you still have the pre-fix intake i think you might pick up a lot. Or you could find a used 01 lower intake and it should bolt right up. With a tune you should see better gains. Hope everything works out for you.

:D :D that all made crystal clear sense. But I just am awe struck because I used to hear so many say that they had to tear open and work on the inside to get 300 plus to the wheels. In fact every forum or site I have been on that talks about this or shows dyno results and better yet even videos of 9-01's being dynoed...never once did I see a car hit 300 with the mods you listed. ONLY twice did I see results like yours and they spent lots of money and time on the inside of the engine to get those results and everyone I have asked about getting over 300 to the wheels on my car...they have told me that you need a supercharger/turbo to do that because it would just be crazy amount of work and money to do it N/A. Is yours a fluke? I dedicate my life talking about these cars lol so this is just quite a shock. The mach 1's are the only N/A 4valve motors that I have heard that can dyno at 300 plus with just bolt ons. I wish we could get more input but I will try and get my intake fixed and then maybe I will be at 300 but I doubt it. I have heard that the intake fix is worth maybe 5 horses :( Also there are so many 99 owners that dyno around 260 even, so horror stories of worse but I guess it ranges from 240-280. But would you agree that the 99 and 01 are the SAME I cant stand people that say the engine is different in the 01. The blocks were cast in different locations and in 01 all made the advertised 320 but other than that they are the same right? any way happy motoring :nice:

ok got out my dyno sheet and found out something interesting. when I got my car it had a dyno sheet from Turbo Tune in Greensboro NC that read 293.8 rwhp and 298 rwtq. I then had it dynoed at Waynes Dyno In Jacksonville NC and I was at 297.1 rwhp and 299.9 rwtq, so sorry I bumped it a bit, had been while since I looked at the sheet, but my a/f ratio was so rich it was off the scale so I know I am loosing power. If you like I can scan my dyno sheets to send to you I can.

I personally have seen many people on this site and the corral with way more than 300 rwhp NA and most with the same mods or maybe one or two more than me with significantly more power so I though mine was low. make a post and ask what power everyone has with a NA 99 cobra and what mods they have, I am sure that you will be very suprised at the amount of people that are around or above the 300 mark. not being a smart "A" but just saying there are those people out there, and I know I have not touched anything internally on my cobra since I have had it.

Guys, I recall the original claim from ford with the fix added was was 269-272 at the rear. I had add ons and was seeing 293 at the rear. I had U/D pulleys, Full Bassani with cats, CAI, Shortys..300 was a very tough number to crack N/A.

John

Thanks guys but Im still holding that most 99 cobra with bolt ons will not hit the 300 mark with a proper dyno and such. and it is ridiculous to say 300 is easy to hit that is bs. but thanks for all the feedback. 293 sounds right from 99cobrajms. but as most are below 300, sure there are some at or above but just not most. All of these cars are different. the NA cobras just put out such a wide range of power. I originally thought somewhere between at worst 250 all the way to 300 with bolt ons. thanks again, keep the posts coming :)

Thanks guys but Im still holding that most 99 cobra with bolt ons will not hit the 300 mark with a proper dyno and such. and it is ridiculous to say 300 is easy to hit that is bs. but thanks for all the feedback. 293 sounds right from 99cobrajms. but as most are below 300, sure there are some at or above but just not most. All of these cars are different. the NA cobras just put out such a wide range of power. I originally thought somewhere between at worst 250 all the way to 300 with bolt ons. thanks again, keep the posts coming :D
oh and humidity has little to do with your dyno results because of our cars "massair" ...so I have heard :)