Early C4 Linkage Adjustment?

onetricpony

Oct 5, 2014
Been able to solve most of my problems thus far by searching and reading but can't find any info on this one. I've got a 66 coupe with an early 289 (aluminum water pump) and first run c4. The shifter in the car appears to be a later year as it requires the bushing to connect to transmission linkage. I got the car is pieces but the transmission has been rebuilt and I'm installing it in the car for the first time since rebuild.

I have the shifter and transmission in park (I assume it's park, linkage is all the way to the front of the car) but the linkage and shifter don't line up. I have to kick it down one gear to reverse to get it to go into the linkage. Is there an adjustment on the shifter linkage or transmission linkage? The kick down cable appears to be too long as well.

Thanks for any help. Finally get all my pully/belt allignment issues figured out and now this
20141005_111712.jpeg
20141005_111527.jpg

Attachments

• 20141005_111146.jpeg
    20141005_111146.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 5,016
  • Sponsors (?)

Are you sure the shifter is all the way in park?
The gas pedal looks like it may need adjusting as well ,have someone step on the pedal till it touches the floor and check the carb. to see if the butterflies have opened all the way. You may have to bend the shift down leaver on the throttle bracket forward if it opens the butterflies correctly but the cable is still wrong .
What motor mounts do you have , 65 cast iron frame mount stud type or 66 with a through bolt ?

Man, am I glad you replied....was in the car trying to drill the ignition out. If I read one more post about how easy that is. Was just about to grab the torch ;) It makes sense that the kick down/accelerator linkage could be bent, I've had the motor/tranny out of the car quite a few times trying to get headers to clear the firewall. I'm quite sure both the shifter and transmission are in park. It had a standard shift selector bezel on the car when I got it but I put a green dot bezel on it now, they look like the gears are marked the same. The transmission is in park for sure (assuming park is with the linkage all the way forward towards front of the car. The :poo: linkage is pointing up on the transmission and from the most forward position I get 5 clicks back. I'm using the older mounts with the single bolt. They were new and came with the car

Appreciate the help

Ok ,the leaver on the transmission should be all the way back to be in park .The shifter will be all the way forward . I was thinking if you had the early 65 mounts you may have them on the wrong side, Right is right only and left is left only .Looks like you just need to pull the leaver towards the rear of the car.

Yeah I was thinking that but I've tried it both ways and it doesn't work that way either. I've read that it should be adjusted where the linkage connects closer to the middle than all the way at one end or the other. It binds if I put it over the bolt this way. Is there an adjustment on the transmission for the linkage?

You may have to turn the tail shaft a bit to get it to lock ,it may not have the lock cogs lined up inside . It must be the wrong shift rod ,if you can measure it i have one to compare .
I use a 1/2 inch bit to drill out the switches ,you will need to pick out all the little springs and the little brass pins to turn the switch and pull out the center ,they can be a pain in the butt.

I've drilled the cylinder, got all the brass springs and cogs out cannot get the ignition to turn at all. Paper clip in the hole does nothing.

I'm thinking the wrong shifter may be in the car...60's c4 doesn't use a bushing in the shifter linkage to connect to the transmission but I thought the c6 would be the same shifter. I'll climb under and try to measure the transmission linkage tomorrow.

Thanks again