EFI swap progress (pics)

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
I got the donor car today. The owner (who is going to help me) had stuff to do today. And I had nothing to do and am so eager to get this engine pulled, I told him to just drop it off and I would go ahead and start on it.

I have pulled off the cold air intake, throttle body, upper intake manifold, plug wires, distributor, and quite a few connections.
EFIengine2.JPG

EFIengine1.JPG

Here is the upper intake, throttle body, distributor, and plug wires.
trickflowintake.JPG

Here is a pic of most of the damage that was done to the donor car (1994 GT). T-boned. :notnice:
94gtdamage.JPG

Unfortunatly, I haven't gotten around to pulling out my engine yet, but I'm close. :D
engine.JPG

But, I did get my new gas tank! :nice:
gastank.JPG

I have a long road ahead of me of stuff to do, but it's definitely going to be worth it. The car is going to be more fun to drive, better on gas, more reliable, and FAST. The '94 GT runs really hard. I took it for a spin before tearing down the engine. :eek:
She started gettin sideways right out of first gear. ;)

• Sponsors (?)

Fostang, actually I will probably buy the wiring harness designed for the early Mustang EFI swap. I got alot further after these pics. Got the fuel rails and injectors off along with the wiring harness that have the injectors on them. Also got the computer out.

Your right though, the wiring on this thing appears to be a nightmare.

Save some money get a fox eec and wiring. preferbly 89' :)

(no air bag wires wrapped in the harness)

5.0 efi conversions are so easy. Good luck to you.

Which I could say the same about 4.6 motors these suckers have 40 more wires than the fox's.

Whew, I'm worn out. The past two nights of hard work well past midnight and I have finally gotten it out with the help of a friend. My hands are really sore and scratched up, but that's part of it! lol
Right now, it's just a nightmare with parts scattered here and there. But, tomorrow in the morning I plan on just getting everything sorted out and cleaned up and such. Then, I need to get around to pulling the engine out of my '65.

The last few things I need to do with the donor car are get the fuel pump, fuel pump relays and stuff, E-brake, exhaust system, and try to figure out the rest of the wires that are needed for me.

Ok, here are my plans for the rest of the week. Tomorrow, I will have a friend help me pull the engine out of my '65. Then, I will be ordering some parts and putting the 5.0 in it for a trial fit. Then I will eventually buy the rest of the parts and slowly get progess on it until it's all running perfectly. Then, I will pull the engine, rebuild it, put in a cam, and put it back in. These are my plans, hopefully they will work out this way! lol

I will try to get some more pics of the engine out tonight when I get off work. :nice:

Are you keeping the serpentine pulley set up?

If you are get a fox one. :)

If you decide to get a supercharger later on it'll be easier and cheaper to find.

That would mean changing all the pulleys out and also the water pump.

Fostang, I have found out that it's difficult to use the '94-'95 engines. To get a new wiring harness, I will need to get a new distributor with the TFI already on it, barometric pressure sensor, and a new computer out of the 87-93 Fox. Or else, I can pay $40/hour for 2-3 hours of work for this guy to modify the harness to make it work on my application. And I don't have the skill, or time to modify the stock harness.

So, basically, I'm not sure what I'm going to do as of right now. :shrug: One way or another, I will get it figured out and get it going, but in the mean time I need to do some figuring.

Well, I just ordered $600 worth of parts from Ron Morris Performance, so I have the stuff to get started with. Hehe. :nice:

I am probably going to have to find an 87-93 Fox in a junk yard to get the computer, distributor, and barometric press. sensor out of. Guess I can call around one of these nights. :shrug:

It's got alot of miles on it and will need new rings and bearings. Other than rings and bearings, everything else should be in good shape to make it a reliable driver car. The only new internal parts is the cam, cam bearings, and lifters. It's got a brand new Weiand Stealth intake with a 600cfm Edelbrock carb. Pertronix electronic ignition in distributor and Pertronix flame thrower II (45,000 volt). I am keeping the headers. I also have a brand new (just bought before I decided to do swap) alternator that I would throw in with the engine.

You interested?

I'd have no problem helping you modify the harness or installing one from a fox.

I've done it a few times and haven't had one fail (knock on wood). :)

Do some reasearch you'll find it's easy in the end.

Just don't use the sn95"only" electronics.

That would mean selling the MAF tb and elbow front accesories. You can keep that g3 alternator though for 130 amps.

trickflow stage 1 cam is what I'd choose for that motor. Does it have stock heads?

Fostang, PLEASE give me some ideas on what I can do to keep my distributor and computer and all the stuff I have now and make the EFI work and run in my '65. You seem to know what you're doing looking at your sig! LOL

Yes, it's using stock heads. I will give the TF cam a look. Thanks.

Actually I would dump those sn95 electronics.

Get a fox set up they are way less forgiving when it comes to mods and the computers are better also.

It's been a while since I've seen an sn 95 wiring harness and electronics though.

I'd just get fox stuff. :)
It's the easiest way unless you take the time to look at wiring books and cross refrence what goes where.

I have had quite a bit of experience helping my friends with 94/95 Cobras and we did every mod possible to these cars and I never found the electronics to be a problem. It is true they differ from the earlier cars but with bolt ons and a Tweaker chip we had the 94 heavy beast running consistent 13.0s. I say stick with what you have. and give it a go. You have nothing to lose. You can always switch to the earlier electronics is the need arises but you can use what you have now without spending any more $$$.

Yes but he want's to get a conversion harness and the conversion harness uses fox stuff.

Then again fms I think has an adapter for the TPS which we can make but it would take finding an sn95 plug which you have and a fox which you can cut form the junk yard then just splice,solder in and heat shrink. As far as the TFI I'm not sure how it works on sn95's I have forgotten. :(

I would have said they were the same but I guess not. lol

I don't know it all but can help you with what I can.