allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
North Atlanta
album_pic.php

Not too bad looking...except what was done to the scoop

• Sponsors (?)

I think that's one of the "real" Eleanor cars from Sanderson. If I remember right, the ones with the goofy scoop have an aluminum 427 in them as well as the unique "thin-wide-thin" stripes. I love the red with white striping, and agree that it's a neat car with the exception of the hood.

Yup thats the "supersnake" that they offer for I think around $180,00. All aluminum 427, and your choice of nitrous or a supercharger. I have seen one exactly like that last year at the barrett jackson in scottsdale, man oh man did they have trouble getting that thing to idle....

Mike

Yeah, the hood is a bit gratuitous, but it is amazing what a paint job can do to make the Eleanors tolerable. And is it me, or does the rocker panel look smaller (thinner) than the usual Eleanor clones? One last thing... It also appears that the bodywork (flares, valence, rockers) have been molded into the stock body. Makes the usual tacky "tacked on" look go away. That should be a requirement for these cars.

While I like the Eleanor look in the traditional silver/black check out the miserable fit on that hood. I think a $180,000 car show have PERFECT fit and finsh. Check out the fit on the Fastforward fastback that Troy Trepanier built for ebay last year. It's absolutley without a flaw and he commented that a car like that would cost about $125,000. It's 10 times the quality of the Sanderson cars.

Has anyone seen the latest mustang monthly "shelby fights back". There is about 3-4 pages in shelbies defense of his new supercars, he brings the new gt40 and cobra prototype in his arguement... His reason for the shelby VIN was that its a shelby product, and hes not claiming them to be real shelbies at all. He also hints on the new 05 shelby mustangs. Anyone else see that? Thoughts/opinions?

Mike

Yeah I read it too ( a little closer than you maybe, as I now know NOT to refer to the Ford GT as the GT40 anymore ;) ). If he truly believes what he cliams, that they are a Shelby product but not a real Shelby in the vintage sense, then they should have a totally different registry unto themselves, and not be included with the classics. I for one do not begrudge Shelby for making some money off of his years of hard work and sweat (hell so many others have made livings off of his work over the years) and filling a nitch in the market for big boy expensive toys, but lets just always call a spade a spade too. They are still clones plain and simple with the exception that you have a certain gaurantee that a level of quality comes associated with it, and for that you pay.

The '67 and '68 Shelbys have always been my favorite body style. I do agree that the hood is really bad on that particular car.

I think the car looks a lot better in red than grey. The green with white stripes was always my favorite color scheme, though.

Pakrat said:
Yeah I read it too ( a little closer than you maybe, as I now know NOT to refer to the Ford GT as the GT40 anymore ;) ). If he truly believes what he cliams, that they are a Shelby product but not a real Shelby in the vintage sense, then they should have a totally different registry unto themselves, and not be included with the classics. I for one do not begrudge Shelby for making some money off of his years of hard work and sweat (hell so many others have made livings off of his work over the years) and filling a nitch in the market for big boy expensive toys, but lets just always call a spade a spade too. They are still clones plain and simple with the exception that you have a certain gaurantee that a level of quality comes associated with it, and for that you pay.

Well put, Pak!

:shrug: Its a different twist on the single most awesome Mustang ever to be seen on a street or the big screen , but the hood is indeed too big. Hey, if you want Eleanor , AND you want it to be a real Shelby , dont buy Sandersons overpriced , was probably born a 6- banger ..., get a 67 Shelby, dry store the freakin front clip, and bolt on an Eleanor. Truly no big deal. :rolleyes: Just dont do irreversible damage. All these people spending 120 - 180 grand for an Eleanor in the registry should take the same po' boys short cut I did. Here she is at home in the garage .

The Hopkinator said:
Yeah , thats coming. The front indeed sits a little too high. New springs will be on before long. Exhaust is Friday. I have 2 2002 Roush side exhaust mufflers Im putting on. Im running (rapidly) out of Eleanor money :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll get there soon enough Hop, and heck, I'd be happy with how far you've already gotten!

Route666 said:
Hop she need lowering man!!

Actually I think that she needs to be parked at my house for a month. But crank down the Lugs, because I'd drive that wheels off that bad dog.

I am neither really hot or really cold on the look. That said, a well built car is an impressive thing. That looks sweet.

Thx guys ! :rolleyes: . I love yall maaaaan !!!! :banana:

Its been one year (almost) since starting . What a nightmare. Shes turned out pretty cool though . The last things I want to do are , interior, lower , newer radiator, mirrors, ummmm,,,,,,errrrr,,,,oh yeah, factory toploader shifter. They put some crazy close ratio drag racing job on it. Anybody have a toploader shifter they dont need?

In no way am I trying to piss anybody off, but...

Shelbys are cool (despite the not so great original fiberglass work)
The New Eleanor is cool
Clones are okay (as long as you don't try to sell them as an original)

but why does eveyone feel compelled to opy something that has already been done to death. The cars look good, but have an original thought. Mix and match some pieces, make your own mods, something truly "custom."

Does no one have any imagination anymore. And why do people make or buy these Eleanor cars? Do you want everyone to think its the movie car? The guys who designed the Eleanor took a concept and modified, but no else seems willing to do the same thing, they just run out and buy it? Have we all lost our since of creativity?

I think Hop building his as an exact copy of the movie car (except for things that would require chopping up the original Shelby) for himself is great, especially since he started with a real GT500. Selling them though, seems cheesy to me, and probably devalues Hop's car in all but his own mind, and those that know that it isn't just a bought one, and actually started as a GT500.

There are a fair number of people on this forum that hate El, more that have no real attraction to it, but think it looks nice anyways. These are the people who have different ideas, there are plenty of them.

I think the thing is that there are a couple of people actually manufacturing El, and it was a movie car, so touched a lot of people, some who didn't even realise mustangs existed (Like me, I was a 70s falcon man, XA-XC, mad max interceptors...), which is why you see so much of it. I'd love to manufacture my own style of 69 fastback variants, perhaps even only one variant, but noone will know about the car I want to build because it (most likely) won't be in a movie, and I probably won't manufacture it because I won't have the resources.

Anyway, point being, I think we see a lot of El because it is a well executed custom car (the one in the movie was original before it became so famous anyway) that appeared in a movie, and people are now building and selling them.

If I built and sold Els, I would also offer different stuff. Resto-moddy like El, slight body kits perhaps, big brakes, racing suspension, polished wheels, different paint jobs, etc, different years too.