Forced Induction Electric Fan Clearance With Vortech S-trim

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 10, 2002
Ontario, Canada
So.....started installing my Vortech today and came across my first snag. Running a stock radiator, with a Taurus electric fan and just as I feared, the lower pulley makes contact with the fan motor. There really isn't any room to move the fan in any direction, so I guess the Taurus fan is getting the boot.

My Vortech kit is one of the HO models that came with the one piece, 8-rib crank pulley.....but I've also got a 1-piece, 10-rib lower, brand new in the box that the previous owner bought and never installed that I'm thinking of running as an alternative. Should allow me to use a 2.95" pulley without having to run it banjo string tight.

Did a couple of quick searches and it looks like a dual fan set up is going to be needed. I was thinking of running the Contour dual fans, in place of the Taurus fan, as I've got them on my F150 and they have no issues what so ever cooling the 5.4L.....but I'd also come across a couple of posts where people have used Dodge Ramcharger dual fans as well.

I'd like to stick with an OEM style fan if I could. I've never been a fan of some of the "cheap" looking after market units and quick frankly, I'm not wanting to drop $500+ on a fan.

So what are you blower guys using? Pics would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

welcome to the dark side Brian. Like you, I tried to get the darn contour fan to fit, but it wouldnt without me hacking up the radiator support.. I ended up getting a Chrysler 300 ( ramcharger 2K) dual fan for $125--- it also is a Dorman 620-039. Fits very nicely on the Fox Radiator and is only 3.5" wide.

upload_2016-5-3_1-46-56.jpeg

upload_2016-5-3_1-46-38.jpeg

Attachments

• 20160414_161315.jpg
    20160414_161315.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 384
Reactions: 1 user
What do you figure the clearance is from the end of the crank pulley, to the fan Mike? Looks like it could be around 1/2", but hard to tell?

And do you know the OEM part number Mike? Looks like the fan has changed a little over the years?

i'm running a flex a lite 33054 controller. Sorry I dont have the OEM p/n,,, just the Dorman one posted which you should be able to cross match, I have at least 1/2" between the crank pulley and the fan shroud on an 8 rib setup, a 2 core alum radiator with an a/c condensor and trans cooler mounted in front.

welcome to the dark side Brian. Like you, I tried to get the darn contour fan to fit, but it wouldnt without me hacking up the radiator support.. I ended up getting a Chrysler 300 ( ramcharger 2K) dual fan for $125--- it also is a Dorman 620-039. Fits very nicely on the Fox Radiator and is only 3.5" wide.

upload_2016-5-3_1-46-56.jpeg

upload_2016-5-3_1-46-38.jpeg
How are they in traffic ? Saw multiple pictures of the contour fans fitting with an 8 rib with no issue . I want something a little better then my BM extreme but want it to fit like factory

@mikestang63

Last edited:
Let's just hope they'll clear my 10-rib setup?
I was doing a lot of research last night guys were clearing a lot of different fans with a 10 rib

Edit - still reading . I'm torn between trying this fan mike has or trying the contour fans. I like that the contour fans literally cover the whole core . I have the BM185 extreme . In super hot weather the temp does slowly rise at idle in traffic. I'm doing mustang week this year and don't want any issues

Last edited:
Can't really compare it to the dual taurus fan. seems to be working fine so far in the S fl heat. I think it is a coin toss between the dual taurus and this fan as to which is "better".
But in your opinion - this is deff an upgrade over the black magic extreme 185 ? You've been doing this a bit longer then me as far as the blower stuff and dealing with the under hood temps so I trust your thoughts on it .

Just ordered the contour fans gonna give it a shot .

Last edited:
Can't really compare it to the dual taurus fan. seems to be working fine so far in the S fl heat. I think it is a coin toss between the dual taurus and this fan as to which is "better".
To my knowledge, the Taurus never got a dual fan set up?

But in your opinion - this is deff an upgrade over the black magic extreme 185 ? You've been doing this a bit longer then me as far as the blower stuff and dealing with the under hood temps so I trust your thoughts on it .

Just ordered the contour fans gonna give it a shot .
The dual contour fans will cool any small block set up you can fit between your shock towers. I've had the dual contour fans on my FX4 F150 for five years now and have never had as much as a single hick up.

The dual contour fans will cool any small block set up you can fit between your shock towers. I've had the dual contour fans on my FX4 F150 for five years now and have never had as much as a single hick up.
That's my plan now it's already ordered - if you want I'll snap some pics . I only have an 8 rib setup but I can measure once I have it installed to see what I'm left with for space

My bad Brian. working 14 hour days and juggling life and other crap....... dual contour not taurus fans...... I dont think youd go wrong with that.... The dodge fans were recommended by my tuner and he had one when my single contour fan wouldnt fit.... so far so good. 1st time using the dodge fan but other guys I know with blowers and turbos swear by them.

My bad Brian. working 14 hour days and juggling life and other crap....... dual contour not taurus fans...... I dont think youd go wrong with that.... The dodge fans were recommended by my tuner and he had one when my single contour fan wouldnt fit.... so far so good. 1st time using the dodge fan but other guys I know with blowers and turbos swear by them.
I was wondering why you had an issue when you mentioned it . I guess the single fan protrudes that much farther out . All the dual setups I saw including the dodge fans seem to have plenty of room. I wish I did this from the start. Live and learn

I was wondering why you had an issue when you mentioned it . I guess the single fan protrudes that much farther out . All the dual setups I saw including the dodge fans seem to have plenty of room. I wish I did this from the start. Live and learn
I tried every dang thing to get that single fan to fit. With the AC condensor and trans cooler I would have had to hack up the upper rad support which I didnt want to do.

I tried every dang thing to get that single fan to fit. With the AC condensor and trans cooler I would have had to hack up the upper rad support which I didnt want to do.
I really would've loved to get a mark 8 fan to fit . Some say it was no issue with the blower and the majority say no way.

I really would've loved to get a mark 8 fan to fit . Some say it was no issue with the blower and the majority say no way.

i had to trim the heck out of my MkVIII fan to get it to fit on my other car with an S trim. the problem is if you trim to much the fan sits too close to the radiator and diminished the cooling and can also make contact.