Electric fan keeps blowing fuses

• Sponsors (?)

It would kind of depend upon what fan you have. It seems to me that when Revs are up, so are the volts the fan sees, and thus amperage draw is up too.

Good luck.

Little update. I think it only happens when I flick the fan on when Im already driving. Would this make sense? I figure it is causing an initial voltage spike that fries the fuse instantly. I have a 3g and underdrives so my idle voltage is not that high.....I just went for a drive and it never blew the fuse but I put the fan on before I even started the car. Any input?

I just had a similiar problem with my electric fan (It's a Black Magic). Anyway, the fuse I was using was too small (20 amp), the fan requires a 25 amp. It only draws 14 amps when running, but it's the startup that requires the higher amp rating on the fuse.

Can you find out what fuse the Taurus required for your fan? Otherwise, Baxters has fuses that automatically reset for around $5.

You need a slo-blo fuse.

EVen if the fan only draws 20A, you will see a huge startup spike for a split second as the electric motor begins to turn. As it gets to speed, the amperage will drop to normal. Depending on the fan, this can be as large as 70A spike.

If you use regular fuses, they will blow instantly once the load exceeds the rating. A slow-blowing fuse will hold for several seconds to allow the spike to drop.

A fuse and a relay are two entirely different items with different purposes. For most E-fan applications, both are requisite (sans relays for PWM'd controllers, etc).

Worse case scenario...will something like a 50 amp fuse work for the meantime? Im pretty sure that was the size of the fuses for the fan in the taurus'. I just need something to get me around for a day and Im pretty sure I have one in my garage.

FWIW, as I recall, a 94-95 GT fan has a 60 amp Maxi-fuse for the cooling fan. It's always nice to calculate exactly what fuse your particular fan needs (i.e. your idea to check what the OEM fuse size is on a 3.8L Taurus) but the 94-95 fan is similar and might provide an idea........................

Good luck.

Worse case scenario...will something like a 50 amp fuse work for the meantime? Im pretty sure that was the size of the fuses for the fan in the taurus'. I just need something to get me around for a day and Im pretty sure I have one in my garage.

Depends on what size wire you ran to power the fan. A 50A fuse might exceed the rating of the wire, so instead of popping the fuse, you'll just burn the wiring