Electric Power Steering Upgrade

n8rfastback

May 28, 2014
Hey there, I will be doing the electric power steering mod to my 65 fastback. Ill use this thread to show progress and make a sort of write up on it as I go.

This upgrade uses the 02-07 saturn vue power steering, and a special controller and potentiometer to vary the level of assist. The controller box mod is available on ebay from a guy that makes them over seas.

• Sponsors (?)

I have started off by seperating the motor unit from its brain, so that it can be remote mounted. Its only 2 allen bolts, but you have to cut 4 wires and then extend them. I bought some cheap 4 wire connectors and spliced one in so its easy to disconnect.

uploadfromtaptalk1427150321301.jpg

Heres the pics of the unit as I went:
a7b0e172243044d29c3eb32025cf7efa.jpg

be6f8ca3e96f277cf1ef0d72f73bb589.jpg

191800699e3e9f5ea4b32067eaeec754.jpg

Heres the other side:
8f55c37815dfd908746749f5f6b6e712.jpg

Here is the controller box and the pot wired together:
3753d1a574adbf85380dc34559e8c7fe.jpg

The box comes color codes and is really simple. I have soldered all connections and then used heat shrink tubing to make sure it all stays together.

I soldered two of the wires from the controller box to the two wires on the stock plug for the vue power steering as instructed. All thats left is a power and ground circuit from the car to the controller, and from the car batt to the vue power steering. Ill be using a fused 8 ga wire for the motor, and regular ignition switched wiring for the controller box.

Ididit-EPAS1.jpg
Rack2.jpg
I am in process with the same thing on my 65 Convertible except that I went with the EPAS unit which seems a little smaller and the control unit is separate. I also went with and Ididit chrome tilt column so after fitting I had to send it back to Ididit for reassembly. I hope to get it back ready for installation by the end of the week. The motor is rated at 45 amps so I added a100 amp circuit breaker near the alternator and ran a 10 gauge wire. I am running a 3G- 130 amp alternator.

As long as I was making changes, I also went with the TCP Rack & Pinion. :)

I have about a thousand miles with the new EPAS steering and am very pleased with it. There have been no problems. It is very important to fabricate a bracket to prevent the EPAS unit from rotating on the column. This is NOT supplied with the unit nor is the need for it mentioned in the instructions. The unit is totally silent plus their is no electrical noise in the radio from it. I did have to slightly relocate the Parking Brake and grind an ear off the EPAS motor case to get clearance for the brake light switch.

Final R-P1.jpg
DSC_0082s.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0079s.jpg
    DSC_0079s.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 510
Hey there, I will be doing the electric power steering mod to my 65 fastback. Ill use this thread to show progress and make a sort of write up on it as I go.

This upgrade uses the 02-07 saturn vue power steering, and a special controller and potentiometer to vary the level of assist. The controller box mod is available on ebay from a guy that makes them over seas.

Hi I just fitted a Saturn Vue powersteering in my Suzuki jeep did exactly what you did but as soon as I switch on the ignition the steering starts to shake badly then just starts to turn to the left and then to the right by itself till I turn down the ajustment knob then it stops after a few seconds can you please assist me with this problem. Andre

Hello rsev,
Replying to an old thread...

Thanks for the detailed posting. I have been considering EPAS for my project and this is very helpful.
If you don't mind, I have two questions to ask you:
  1. Do you need to fiddle with the potentiometer during a cruise or is it "set and forget"? For example, do you back off the assist on the highway, then bump it up when you pull into a parking lo? If the answer is yes, I wonder if the potentiometer could be wired into some sort of speed sensor to automate that?
  2. Compared to hydraulic would you say this is overall a better set-up? Seems like it's less moving parts, more "solid state", but I wonder about the feel.
Thanks!

Dan

Part of me marvels at how freaking cool this is, and the rest of me screams "For the love of God, WHY?????"

I hate EPAS. It could be from all of the little rubber "ninja star" bushings I've replaced in the Hyundai/Kia versions over the years, or how numb it feels in my daily-driver F150 (not to mention the ridiculous over-assist at low speeds)...

But then the other part of me starts looking at the pics again and says "THAT IS SO FREAKING COOL!"

Reactions: 1 user
Hello rsev,
Replying to an old thread...

Thanks for the detailed posting. I have been considering EPAS for my project and this is very helpful.
If you don't mind, I have two questions to ask you:
  1. Do you need to fiddle with the potentiometer during a cruise or is it "set and forget"? For example, do you back off the assist on the highway, then bump it up when you pull into a parking lo? If the answer is yes, I wonder if the potentiometer could be wired into some sort of speed sensor to automate that?
  2. Compared to hydraulic would you say this is overall a better set-up? Seems like it's less moving parts, more "solid state", but I wonder about the feel.
Thanks!

Dan
Dan,
I don't think I have touched the potentiometer since the installation. It has been in for over a year with no problem at all. I have it set for max assist. It is a little hard to turn when stopped but has a good feel when driving.
I went with EPAS because I got really tired of leaking hoses and squealing pumps. EPAS is a much cleaner and reliable setup than the old hydraulic system.