Engine Fault Code Help...

UPDATE- Put new intake on. Car runs much much better, however I still have something going on. I'm not pulling any codes key on engine off, but I'm still pulling 41 and 91 running. I'm getting a little floating idle, but not bad. Car drops to 1K, hangs there for 2-3 seconds, then drops to a good idle and is very smooth. I checked fuel pressure for kicks and that looks good. I also picked up a stock MAF at a bone yard for $10 which I'll put on this weekend just to rule that out. I'm also going to hook back up to the smoke machine tomorrow or this weekend. Maybe I have a separate vacuum leak? That wouldn't surprise me. Car runs good, but not perfect yet.

• Sponsors (?)

UPDATE- Put new intake on. Car runs much much better, however I still have something going on. I'm not pulling any codes key on engine off, but I'm still pulling 41 and 91 running. I'm getting a little floating idle, but not bad. Car drops to 1K, hangs there for 2-3 seconds, then drops to a good idle and is very smooth. I checked fuel pressure for kicks and that looks good. I also picked up a stock MAF at a bone yard for $10 which I'll put on this weekend just to rule that out. I'm also going to hook back up to the smoke machine tomorrow or this weekend. Maybe I have a separate vacuum leak? That wouldn't surprise me. Car runs good, but not perfect yet.

The behavior your describe is perfectly normal. It is to prevent stalling when you slow down for a stop.

Clear the codes by disconnecting the test jumper while the codes are dumping or by using the scanner clear button. Then drive the car for a day or two and dump them again. If you still get the 41/91 code, see the test path below.

Code 41 or 91 Three digit code 172 or 176 - O2 sensor indicates system lean. Look for a vacuum leak or failing O2 sensor.

Revised 29-Sep-2013 to add back in a clogged crossover tube as cause for code 41

Code 41 is a RH side sensor, as viewed from the driver's seat.
Code 91 is the LH side sensor, as viewed from the driver's seat.

Code 172 is the RH side sensor, as viewed from the driver's seat.
Code 176 is the LH side sensor, as viewed from the driver's seat.

The computer sees a lean mixture signal coming from the O2 sensors and tries to compensate by adding more fuel. Many times the end result is an engine that runs pig rich and stinks of unburned fuel.

The following is a Quote from Charles O. Probst, Ford fuel Injection & Electronic Engine control:
"When the mixture is lean, the exhaust gas has oxygen, about the same amount as the ambient air. So the sensor will generate less than 400 Millivolts. Remember lean = less voltage.

When the mixture is rich, there's less oxygen in the exhaust than in the ambient air , so voltage is generated between the two sides of the tip. The voltage is greater than 600 millivolts. Remember rich = more voltage.

Here's a tip: the newer the sensor, the more the voltage changes, swinging from as low as 0.1 volt to as much as 0.9 volt. As an oxygen sensor ages, the voltage changes get smaller and slower - the voltage change lags behind the change in exhaust gas oxygen.

Because the oxygen sensor generates its own voltage, never apply voltage and never measure resistance of the sensor circuit. To measure voltage signals, use an analog voltmeter with a high input impedance, at least 10 megohms. Remember, a digital voltmeter will average a changing voltage." End Quote

Testing the O2 sensors 87-93 5.0 Mustangs
Measuring the O2 sensor voltage at the computer will give you a good idea of how well they are working. You'll have to pull the passenger side kick panel off to gain access to the computer connector. Remove the plastic wiring cover to get to the back side of the wiring. Use a safety pin or paper clip to probe the connections from the rear.

Disconnect the O2 sensor from the harness and use the body side O2 sensor harness as the starting point for testing. Do not measure the resistance of the O2 sensor , you may damage it. Resistance measurements for the O2 sensor harness are made with one meter lead on the O2 sensor harness and the other meter lead on the computer wire or pin for the O2 sensor.

Backside view of the computer wiring connector:
a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.71316

87-90 5.0 Mustangs:
Computer pin 43 Dark blue/Lt green – LH O2 sensor
Computer pin 29 Dark Green/Pink – RH O2 sensor
The computer pins are 29 (LH O2 with a dark green/pink wire) and 43 (RH O2 with a dark blue/pink wire). Use the ground next to the computer to ground the voltmeter. The O2 sensor voltage should switch between .2-.9 volt at idle.

91-93 5.0 Mustangs:
Computer pin 43 Red/Black – LH O2 sensor
Computer pin 29 Gray/Lt blue – RH O2 sensor
The computer pins are 29 (LH O2 with a Gray/Lt blue wire) and 43 (RH O2 with a Red/Black wire). Use the ground next to the computer to ground the voltmeter. The O2 sensor voltage should switch between .2-.9 volt at idle.

Testing the O2 sensors 94-95 5.0 Mustangs
Measuring the O2 sensor voltage at the computer will give you a good idea of how well they are working. You'll have to pull the passenger side kick panel off to gain access to the computer connector. Remove the plastic wiring cover to get to the back side of the wiring. Use a safety pin or paper clip to probe the connections from the rear. The computer pins are 29 (LH O2 with a red/black wire) and 27 (RH O2 with a gray/lt blue wire). Use pin 32 (gray/red wire) to ground the voltmeter. The O2 sensor voltage should switch between .2-.9 volt at idle.

Note that all resistance tests must be done with power off. Measuring resistance with a circuit powered on will give false readings and possibly damage the meter. Do not attempt to measure the resistance of the O2 sensors, it may damage them.

Testing the O2 sensor wiring harness
Most of the common multimeters have a resistance scale. Be sure the O2 sensors are disconnected and measure the resistance from the O2 sensor body harness to the pins on the computer. Using the Low Ohms range (usually 200 Ohms) you should see less than 1.5 Ohms.

87-90 5.0 Mustangs:
Computer pin 43 Dark blue/Lt green – LH O2 sensor
Computer pin 29 Dark Green/Pink – RH O2 sensor
Disconnect the connector from the O2 sensor and measure the resistance:
From the Dark blue/Lt green wire in the LH O2 sensor harness and the Dark blue/Lt green wire on the computer pin 43
From the Dark Green/Pink wire on the RH Os sensor harness and the Dark Green/Pink wire on the computer pin 43

91-93 5.0 Mustangs:
Computer pin 43 Red/Black – LH O2 sensor
Computer pin 29 Gray/Lt blue – RH O2 sensor
Disconnect the connector from the O2 sensor and measure the resistance:
From the Red/Black wire in the LH O2 sensor harness and the Red/Black wire on the computer pin 43
From the Dark Green/Pink Gray/Lt blue wire on the RH Os sensor harness and the Gray/Lt blue wire on the computer pin 29

94-95 5.0 Mustangs:
Computer pin 29 Red/Black – LH O2 sensor
Computer pin 27 Gray/Lt blue – RH O2 sensor
From the Red/Black wire in the LH O2 sensor harness and the Red/Black wire on the computer pin 29
From the Dark Green/Pink Gray/Lt blue wire on the RH Os sensor harness and the Gray/Lt blue wire on the computer pin 27

There is a connector between the body harness and the O2 sensor harness. Make sure the connectors are mated together, the contacts and wiring are not damaged and the contacts are clean and not coated with oil.

The O2 sensor ground (orange wire with a ring terminal on it) is in the wiring harness for the fuel injection wiring. I grounded mine to one of the intake manifold bolts

Make sure you have the proper 3 wire O2 sensors. Only the 4 cylinder cars used a 4 wire sensor, which is not compatible with the V8 wiring harness.

Replace the O2 sensors in pairs if replacement is indicated. If one is weak or bad, the other one probably isn't far behind.

Code 41 can also be due to carbon plugging the driver’s side Thermactor air crossover tube on the back of the engine. The tube fills up with carbon and does not pass air to the driver’s side head ports, Remove the tube and clean it out so that both sides get good airflow: this may be more difficult than it sounds. You need something like a mini rotor-rooter to do the job because of the curves in the tube. Something like the outer spiral jacket of a flexible push-pull cable may be the thing that does the trick.

If you get only code 41 and have changed the sensor, look for vacuum leaks. This is especially true if you are having idle problems. The small plastic tubing is very brittle after many years of the heating it receives. Replace the tubing and check the PVC and the hoses connected to it.

Thanks!

Smoke machine is great! EGR looks like it's leaking from the plunger (orange area inside the housing). I probably didn't notice due to the plenum pouring smoke. I'm assuming this should not leak at all.

I'm going to go after this and see where it leads me.

EGR I picked up from the bone yard just to see if this is the problem is also "smoking" when I pump smoke through the system. Can someone confirm the EGR should not be allowing smoke to "leak" out where the plunger is located?
I'm sure the EGR I got has a million miles on it, but did not want to invest in a new one until I was sure.

I did pull the vacuum line from the EGR for kicks just to see if the leak was coming from the TB side or EGR side. No change when I pulled off the vacuum line. The smoke, although coming through the vacuum line, appears to mostly be coming from the TB side which probably makes sense. The top hole on the EGR has the pintle which is probably operating correctly, however the bottom hole is wide open. I blew in my old EGR and the one I got from the junk yard and I was able to push a little air through both. This is probably where the "metered" leak comes from. Anyway, I probably shouldn't dwell on the EGR at least at this point.

I did also notice last night that a little smoke is coming from the throttle spring at the bottom of the TB. I'll probably do the carb cleaner method today and see if it's enough to choke the engine.

All other lines seem rock solid. I'll probably do a few more smoke tests to be sure later today.

For the sake of anyone reading this post downstream, here's an update.

Sprayed carb cleaner around throttle spring under TB and no change. Not really sure what this means since I know this exact area was smoking with machine hooked up. I could pick up a used TB and throw it on to see if any changes?

Ideas?

Apply vacuum to the EGR: if it holds vacuum that part is good.
Try blowing through the EGR port by mount. If that part hold air pressure, it is good. If the EGR fails this test, see the EGR cleaning instructions below.

If the EGR passes both tests, it is good. if and it still fails after cleaning discard it and replace it with an EGR that does pass both tests.

Prior to re-installing see if you can blow air through the flange side of the EGR by mouth. If it leaks, there is carbon stuck on the pintle valve seat clean or, replace the EGR valve ($85-$95).

Recommended procedure for cleaning the EGR:
Conventional cleaning methods like throttle body cleaner aren’t very effective. The best method is a soak type cleaner used for carburetors. If you are into fixing motorcycles, jet skis, snowmobiles or anything else with a small carburetor, you probably have used the one gallon soak cleaners like Gunk or Berryman. One of the two should be available at your local auto parts store for $22-$29. There is a basket to set the parts in while they are soaking. Soak the metal body in the carb cleaner overnight. Don’t immerse the diaphragm side, since the carb cleaner may damage the diaphragm. If you get any of the carb cleaner on the diaphragm, rinse it off with water immediately. Rinse the part off with water and blow it dry with compressed air. Once it has dried, try blowing through the either hole and it should block the air flow. Do not put parts with water on them or in them in the carb cleaner. If you do, it will weaken the carb cleaner and it won’t clean as effectively.

Gunk Dip type carb & parts soaker:
21hb0QWbOeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you have a handy vacuum source, apply it to the diaphragm and watch to see if the pintle moves freely. Try blowing air through either side and make sure it flows when the pintle retracts and blocks when the pintle is seated. If it does not, replace the EGR.

Thanks! I cannot blow air through the pintle hole, but I can through the lower hole on the EGR flange. Should both block air flow?
To the best of my knowledge, yes it should block either way you blow in it.
I tried the spare I have in my garage, and it seems to block airflow in both directions.

EGR I picked up from the bone yard just to see if this is the problem is also "smoking" when I pump smoke through the system. Can someone confirm the EGR should not be allowing smoke to "leak" out where the plunger is located?
I'm sure the EGR I got has a million miles on it, but did not want to invest in a new one until I was sure.
When I went thru all of this with my codes and smoke testing for vacuum leaks my egr leaked too. But it turned out to be the maleable metal gasket the egr mounts on. Once I fixed that no more smoke.

When I went thru all of this with my codes and smoke testing for vacuum leaks my egr leaked too. But it turned out to be the maleable metal gasket the egr mounts on. Once I fixed that no more smoke.

Interesting. How much pressure were you pushing when you smoked the system? It just dawned on me that I may have run the test with higher psi that most.

Sounds like a lot of work, especially when it takes time to watch the system and see where the smoke is going. The smoke machine runs for 5 min intervals and I had to run it 5-6 times to really pin point. That's a lot of cigar smoke!

Sounds like a lot of work, especially when it takes time to watch the system and see where the smoke is going. The smoke machine runs for 5 min intervals and I had to run it 5-6 times to really pin point. That's a lot of cigar smoke!
Yeah. I was green for a while. And I was a smoker back then. Would never be able to pull It off now.

Update- so as I mentioned before, I replaced my cracked intake. I've also replaced my EGR and installed a new TB and spacer. I also had a header gasket leak which is now fixed. Car runs much better! However, I have a new problem now which I posted separately with my car wanting to stall when coming to a stop (it keeps reving up and down like it's running out of gas). Probably not an issue before since my hanging idle problem masked it.

I also just checked codes again and I'm still pulling 41 and 91! Killing me. I have a bone yard MAF that I'm going to try. A few people mentioned this "could" cause these codes. Otherwise, I'm really out of ideas...