Engine Not Idling Up When Ac Is On

• Sponsors (?)

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 159,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 159,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

It never has the problem unless the ac compressor is on. How do you know if the compressor is going out. Also the car came with a 160 amp one wire alternator and with everything electrical on (lights on high, emergency blinkers on, electric fan on, basic stereo on, ac on max, interior fan on high, rear defrost on, wipers on and break lights on) I have 11.8 volts on the battery.

Check the grounds first and after you have fixed any problems there , do the Surging Idle checklist I posted.

2.) The secondary power ground is between the back of the intake manifold and the driver's side firewall. It is often missing or loose. It supplies ground for the alternator, A/C compressor clutch and other electrical accessories such as the gauges. The clue to a bad ground here is that the temp gauge goes up as you add electrical load such as heater, lights and A/C.

Any car that has a 3G or high output current alternator needs a 4 gauge ground wire running from the block to the chassis ground where the battery pigtail ground connects. The 3G has a 130 amp capacity, so you wire the power side with 4 gauge wire. It stands to reason that the ground side handles just as much current, so it needs to be 4 gauge too.

The picture shows the common ground point for the battery , computer, & extra 3G alternator ground wire as described above in paragraph 2. A screwdriver points to the bolt that is the common ground point.

The battery common ground is a 10 gauge pigtail with the computer ground attached to it.
Picture courtesy timewarped1972
ground.jpg

Correct negative battery ground cable.
86-93-mustang-oem-style-ground-cable-gif.56567

See http://assets.fluke.com/appnotes/automotive/beatbook.pdf for help for help troubleshooting voltage drops across connections and components. Be sure to have the maximum load on a circuit when testing voltage drops across connections. As current across a defective or weak connection, increases so does the voltage drop. A circuit or connection may check out good with no load or minimal load, but show up bad under maximum load conditions. .

Voltage drops should not exceed the following:
200 mV Wire or cable
300 mV Switch
100 mV Ground
0 mV to <50 mV Sensor Connections
0.0V bolt together connections

attachment.php

Extra grounds are like the reserve parachute for a sky diver. If the main one fails, there is always your reserve.

Attachments

• 56567d1230679358-positive-negative-battery-cable-questions-86-93-mustang-oem-style-ground-cable.gif
    56567d1230679358-positive-negative-battery-cable-questions-86-93-mustang-oem-style-ground-cable.gif
    31.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
I have been through the checklist and can't find anything. I have a new iac unit and cleaned everything I can. No problems at all with the ac clutch unplugged. Rpms stay good as does the voltage with every electrical thing on except the ac clutch.

Perform the idle reset procedure. During the initial learning phase, make sure you turn the A/C on so the car can learn how to idle with the compressor engaged.

It's possible the IAC is not able to open as far as it can. That's why its's important to disconnect the IAC and adjust the idle so that during a normal idle, the IAC is only barely opened.