Engine Swap Question

IH8BOWTIES

Jul 6, 2008
I'm getting ready to do an engine swap on an automatic 96 gt. I have PI heads on the original engine and I've developed a knock that I suspect to be a rod bearing. Anyway, I'm dropping a PI engine from an 02 in. It's a Windsor engine and therefore has the 8 bolt crank. I picked up some valve covers and flex plate at my local salvage yard. The engine was just sitting by itself but was in the truck section so I suspect this engine came out of an F 150. Considered myself pretty lucky as I didn't have to pull these items from a vehicle. But I'm concerned about the flex plate. It is 14.5" 164 tooth but the torque converter bolt pattern is 11.5" and I think the mustang is 10.5". Parts inquiry at various parts places all call for the same torque converter for F 150 and mustang so I'm a little confused if this flexplate will work or not. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Look at the flex plate and see if there are two sets of holes. I suspect so. I honestly think that for the modular motor the flex plate is the same across the product line.

It may be possible that you are confusing the manual clutch size. As the Mustang does use two different size clutches depending upon the model year. 2001+=11" 2000 and older=10.5"

I could be. No, the one I have does not have two sets of holes but the one I ordered does. I want to have it handy in case I need it. If the salvage one works, I'll send the new one back. Thanks for the help.