Engine Swap

rayray50dawson

Aug 19, 2015
I have a 99 gt five speed that I bought without an engine or engine harness with it. I found and purchased an affordable for me...98 gt engine. I have dropped it in. I know some things have to be different. I found correct six bolt flywheel and new clutch. I also used a fuel rail off a 99+ as I learned that it is a non return style. What else will I have to do to get it to run? Noticed a sensor on fuel rail that wasnt on 98 engine. And considering the only harness k have is for a 98 I am stumped. What all has to be done to run 98 engine with 98 harness in my 99 gt ??? Thanms in advance. I have money tied up in this thing and havent driven it or ever heard it fire to life.

• Sponsors (?)

That sensor on the rail actually is the fuel rail pressure sensor and is used on non-return systems. The PCM references it to control fuel pump output. You will need the correct harness for '99 and up along with the correct PCM. It's a little more hassle than it's worth to convert to a return style fuel system unless you can source the tank unit and lines and feel like re-plumbing the car.

Also, the 98 is NPI while the 99 is PI. So the ECU in the 99 is not gonna work with the 98 engine since the 98 is return-style (as mentioned) and has coil pack ignition instead of COP style. The 98 harness will not work with your 99 ECU. What you should do is get rid of everything you bought, just re-sell it...and then buy a 99-04 engine and use that. Because to get it running, everything you'll need to do, it will not be worth it, especially being that it is a NPI engine.