ET gain with skinnies?

brianj5600

Sep 19, 2003
Middle TN
I am curious if anyone has any experience with swapping to lighter/smaller wheel/tire combos. The wheels and tires on my car now weigh 46 lbs each. I am curious how much I am giving up ET wise vs skinnies. I will report back to back results on 11/4.

• Sponsors (?)

I am curious if anyone has any experience with swapping to lighter/smaller wheel/tire combos. The wheels and tires on my car now weigh 46 lbs each. I am curious how much I am giving up ET wise vs skinnies. I will report back to back results on 11/4.

Common rule of thumb is that 100lbs=1/10th.

Based on the lower weight, the better weight distribution, and better aerodynamics, I'd guess a 0.1 second drop in ET.

100 lbs = .1 is a good rule for weight that does not rotate. Things like rotating assembly in the engine, transmission internals, driveshaft, etc all eat HP. All these parts, including wheels and tires, slow acceleration not only trying to move them forward, but also accelerating them in a circular motion.

100 lbs = .1 is a good rule for weight that does not rotate. Things like rotating assembly in the engine, transmission internals, driveshaft, etc all eat HP. All these parts, including wheels and tires, slow acceleration not only trying to move them forward, but also accelerating them in a circular motion.
I was thinking the same. But don't know if you'll a ton of lose because the front tires are not in the actual process, like say the rear tires.I mean to say I think you would gain alot more if you dropped 46lbs from each back tire.

My slicks are on 94 V6 wheels. They weigh 26 lbs tire and wheel each. The way I see it they both start at 0 mph and have to be accelerated to 90+ mph. When I drag raced my motorcycle, I could power wheelie to the 330 light and when the front tire touched down you could really tell the front tire was not turning. It felt like I pumped the front brake. Instead of spreading out the energy to accelerate the front wheel, it was all absorbed in a split second.
Did Rich say something about being able to tell when he is serious because he has the skinnies on the front, in another thread? Has he ran both at the track, and could he tell a difference?

Did Rich say something about being able to tell when he is serious because he has the skinnies on the front, in another thread? Has he ran both at the track, and could he tell a difference?
:rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: I don't know if he saw a difference. But I can't believe you remembered that. I got a kick when he wrote that. I'll ask him when he gets back from hunting to reply.