Exaust

Rizzox58

Jul 20, 2004
Orland park,IL
What should i install for a better sounding exaust on a 98 6 mustang, my friend says flowmnasters popular, i want sound over power, but still some power, thanks! and what should i pay for it to be installed and etc.

• Sponsors (?)

well, for one, use the search button, as there are about a million different topics on this. and personally, i would go, and went, with MAC, because i knew what they would sound like, my brother had had them on his old car (94 v6) I got everything for $299.99, with free shipping, and the hangers neccesary. Now, being the mechanic savvy people my family is, my father and I installed it ourselves in 60-90 minutes, it wasnt that hard an install at all, so would hope the mechanics wouldn't charge you too much for it =(
Also, by buying a kit yourself, and not having one fabricated for your car, you have the advantage of bolts as compared to welds... which u cant undo or alter. (we plan on trying to raise the mid section of my exhaust a bit, becase the pipe with the cats is slightly bent, so my exhaust hang low in the middle, but is fine out the back =D

so will every other non stainless-steel exhaust... if you are willing to pay the BIG BUCKS for a stainless steel exhaust so it wont rust, go for it. i would also imagine it would rust so fast if you live in an area with less rain, and more importantly SNOW. snow would get on ure exhaust, mixed with the salt and sand, deteriorate your exhaust.

my car = not going to see much snow anyway, not to mention my bro had them on his car, and when he sold it a year and a half a year later, just a little rust, on the muffler area, where u cant see it. your stock exhaust is rusted gaurunteed...

Pick up a GT take-off System - $130
Get some MAC Flowpaths - $125 for a pair
have it all welded in as a true dual system - $150
This way you lose the Y-pipe, AND you get an MAC system that won't rust.

Or you could just buy the mufflers and pay around $300 to have the entire system fabricated.

Also, by buying a kit yourself, and not having one fabricated for your car, you have the advantage of bolts as compared to welds... which u cant undo or alter.

This goes both ways. Welds cannot be undone. But at the same time, bolt-on flanges and gaskets are just extra places for leaks to develop.
I say get what you want the first time, weld it in and forget about it.

My stock exhaust is very rusted...doesn't mean they're going to fall off the car..:shrug:. Do rusted rotors fall off the car?

What makes MAC exhaust systems any different? I'm not trying to be an a$$, I just want to know.

it doesnt, it jsut means theres rust, which is a natrual occurance in uncoated metals....oxidization at its finest =P My calipers were dirty and deteriorated, we painted them red (after using some special caliper-cleaner) and they look hot now =D

szer0 said:
My stock exhaust is very rusted...doesn't mean they're going to fall off the car..:shrug:. Do rusted rotors fall off the car?

What makes MAC exhaust systems any different? I'm not trying to be an a$$, I just want to know.

My MAC exhaust was litterally falling off my car. The rust was eating into the pipes around the Y pipe and had actually eaten through where my exhaust hanger on the right side of the car was so that I had to hold up my exhaust with a clothes hanger.

The Brahma Bull said:
My MAC exhaust was litterally falling off my car. The rust was eating into the pipes around the Y pipe and had actually eaten through where my exhaust hanger on the right side of the car was so that I had to hold up my exhaust with a clothes hanger.

Would it be safe to use Mother's Mag Polish on the entire exhaust system to protect it from rust? I used that stuff on the visible part of my stock pipe and it looks great and has been resisting rust since I put it on 5 months ago.

szer0 said:
Would it be safe to use Mother's Mag Polish on the entire exhaust system to protect it from rust? I used that stuff on the visible part of my stock pipe and it looks great and has been resisting rust since I put it on 5 months ago.

Hope you have a nice lift for everytime you need to coat that system.

I still say just go with GT take-offs. If there were any huge rust problems with those, you see a bunch of older SN95's rotted systems.