Exhaust Midpipe- Looking For Thoughts

Hi all,

So I have had an MRT catted H and the Steeda catback (straight through design - similar to Borla Touring) on my 04 GT since the year I bought it (7 years ago). It was not the loudest, but made me happy enough. One of the cats failed so I had a local shop weld in two high flow cats to replace. Now I have a funky smell (that I thought was a leak, but have had three different places check with me under the car at 2, and it doesn't appear to be). I am assuming it's "break in" or "burn off" of the new cats (although it doesn't have that new exhaust smell I remember) so I am patiently waiting to see if it goes away. On top of the smell, the sound/tone has gotten weaker. So I am assuming that the cats are more restrictive than the original MRT ones.

I am thinking of changing the mid pipe for these two reasons. I may just get another MRT, but am tossing around the idea of switching to an X. I have to stay catted for emissions and I need one that will not hang too low as I am lowered. Also want to get more of that growl that I seem to have lost back.
Any input is appreciated. I did a search, but as you may guess this is a much debated topic and thread after thread contradicted each other.

• Sponsors (?)