Expedition/f150 Intake On Mustang

Nemethjames1

May 15, 2016
I have a 04 GT and the crossover under thermostat started spraying out of a hole. Took thermostat out and saw the o ring /gasket bulged and then found plastic chunks of the intake. Crossover is aluminum so intake is shot. I took out thermostat jb welded inside broken areas and outside hole and hollowed out thermostat, aside from irratic temp gauge car runs great and has no leaks. Takes longer to warm up, gained low end torque and lost mpg..

My question is since I am replacing it I hate the plastic garbage intakes on newer cars and saw the 2001 and up pi intakes are all aluminum on the expi and f150,
Would they bolt up and would i loose hp and cfm flow?

I never have to smog so would love to go with an off-road intake. Only have 100ish to spend. If jb weld holds another month or longer I can buy a better one like edelbrock ,
Will be doing stage 2 cams intake plenum and headers within the year as well.

What do you all think? I know the plastic ones always break but not these aluminum ones. Maybe would have lasted if I didn't shift at redline often. But I bought a third mustang to drive it hard! Not to baby it..

• Sponsors (?)

All the new frpp ones are aluminum cross overs and will work. You can use a suv/truck intake but it won't have the heater core return nipple on the back pass side of it (the nipples there but it's not drilled out). You will have to fab something up.

Mine has aluminum crossover. Was shocked to see the plastic part come in chunks where the plastic meets the metal. Thanks! I'll check junk yard for all aluminum f150 or expi.

Just looking to gain hp from here on out don't wanna loose any with the alum intake, cams and headers soon. 4-6 months

Are you aware that many truck intakes have longer runner length to improve low RPM torque? This usually means that the intake is taller. So in addition to there being issues running the heater line, there's a possibility the intake won't fit under the Mustang hood.