Fox Expensive Struts/shocks Worth It?

Benz510

Feb 19, 2016
Oakland California
Hey guys. It's been a while. Work has been kicking my ass.

Obviously you get what you pay for.. anyways it's finally time to purchase shocks and struts. I was looking on LMR. Originally planned to buy the orange konis but i have also seen the kyb excel Gs for about half the price. My car is already lowered. I don't plan on tracking the car or anything but would like a better ride.

I plan on pairing everything with camber plates and MM sub frame connectors. Also going to replace the spring isolators. Does anyone have and experiences with the cheaper kybs or do u guys think i should spend the Extra money for the konis?

I'm thinking the konis but if i could save money that would be nice. I just don't want to spend more for something that won't make a big difference as far as performance and ride quality.

Give me your suggestions folks!

I appreciate it,
Ben

• Sponsors (?)

Have you looked at Strange? I have their 10 ways and love them and a few others on here do as well in conjunction with the MM coil overs. Depending on your goals though , the KYBs are good solid shocks/struts and make for a good driver and average weekend racer.

Reactions: 1 users
That would defeat the purpose of saving money don't you think?

Let me rephrase, anything is better than wore out stock stuff. I recommended Strange over Reds because Reds and Gs (assuming these are not the AGX based on half the price) are not adjustable. So, if you don't like the ride or response....well you're stuck with buyers remorse.

Strange is sold by LMR and with the discount can be had for $400 to you door. You can adjust to the feel you want for DD and switch for the strip. Also the MM stuff mod work in the future you mentioned, will work with this shocks/struts.

Buy once for your future goal/plan or buy again later. Depends on the end goal. KYB are good ride for a DD

Reactions: 2 users
depends if you need them or not...

99.99% of people can get away with strange 10ways...
when you get the the point where you need menscer valved Afcos or stanhuffs... the 2500-3000 you'll spend is worth every penny

I got the inexpensive KYB factory replacement shocks and struts a while back and did not like the ride quality. I think adjustable shocks are worth the extra money so you can select your ride comfort which is subjective and different for everybody. Going from the max firm setting to the middle setting on my Tokico Illumina struts was a big difference. It was a much smoother softer ride after the change. The fact that I have MM coil overs might be a huge difference. I'd put up the extra money for Koni single adjustable struts and shocks. If you ever want to convert to coil over you won't have to purchase shocks again since they are compatible.

Buy once...get the adjustables. I love the Strange units. I ran some cheaper KYB's on a different car years ago. They were ok...didn't notice a difference over the stock ones.

Reactions: 1 user
You said it yourself... you get what you pay for. I've bought junk, then Tokico Blue's (better) and then went to MM Coil Overs and Koni SA Yellows and despite the price tag I have NO regrets other than I should have done it right to begin with and then saved hundreds of dollars. That said, you didn't say what your goal for the car is?

You said it yourself... you get what you pay for. I've bought junk, then Tokico Blue's (better) and then went to MM Coil Overs and Koni SA Yellows and despite the price tag I have NO regrets other than I should have done it right to begin with and then saved hundreds of dollars. That said, you didn't say what your goal for the car is?

Really just to have a better ride. I might play around here and there. Nothing crazy.

Really just to have a better ride. I might play around here and there. Nothing crazy.

In that case, the most important thing you need to understand about shocks/struts is their SOLE purpose is to control the spring. So, what springs are you going to use? That right there will tell you what dampers are correct for your application.

Reactions: 1 user
If your ride is shot, plan on relplacing all of your front end bushings as well. I had a lot of slop in the front and blamed it on shocks. It wasn't until I went back and replaced all the stock bushings, ball joints, and end links that things got better.

Reactions: 3 users