f303 cam and windsor jr. heads will they work?

f6cobra

Feb 24, 2004
Heres the deal. I have a 88 gt with 60k original miles. It has off road h-pipe, 40 series flowmasters, maf conversion, bbk cold air intake (fenderwell) and a 160 stat, and the basic tune-up and maintanence. A guy i know pretty well has windsor jr. heads and a f303 cam. They are both used with about 10,000 miles on them, although he is getting the heads sent out to be cleaned. I planned on installing the cam and heads with new lifters, valve springs, and hardend pushroads (the heads have guide plates). I want to know if this combo will work and if i need to get special springs or can I use the stock ones just new ones. Also same for the lifters. Do i need to get special lifters or can i just use stock ones but new. Should i not waste my time with the f303 and go with a cam and lifter set? Any info would be awesome. Thanks :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

You need the springs that are matched to that cam. COMP, lunati or FRPP should have them. I hope you have some 4.10s in your car. Like I said before, you are going to need a well flowing manifold, mass air and TB if you want to do more than make noise.

I have 3.73 gears. I plan on doing all that other stuff after Im done with cam and heads. I know I have to get that other stuff though. So that does seem like the smart decision using the f303 cam versus a cam and lifter kit? Thank you again.

you should be able to reuse your stock roller lifters aslong as ther eis no abnormal wear on them and with only 60k on your motor you should be fine. depending on which windsor jr heads he has the valve springs should be fine for the f303. there are i think there are three different versions only diff is really the diameter of ther esprings and what lift there good up to. the standard windsor jr set up for hydraulic cam has a spring diameter of 1.250 and if good to .560 lift the hyrdaulic roller version accepct cam lift to .600 i believe teh spring is bigger not sure off hand the diameter but its dont matter since stock valve reliefs in your motor wont handle that much anyway but your should be fine since the f303 is only .512 lift. you should still check piston to valve clearance though since the valves are bigger in the windsor jr.s 1.94 1.60 versus 1.74 1.46 valves i believe they are and the chamber size on teh windsor jr is 58cc ive heard stock heads being anywhere from 64cc done to 58cc so im not certain they should be 64 though. good luck with what ever you decide to do. if you want more info on these heads check www.worldcastings.com for info

Thank you for the info. Im going to check into the piston to valve clearance. I was thinking of changing the lifters but more and more people say I dont have to. Im still not sure but it looks like I might not. Thank you again Ill let you know what happens.

no problem glad to be of help. i changed cams in my 88 gt wiht about 90k on the motor and i reused the stock lifters and even used a used b303 cam an no problems roller lifters and cams do not wear like regular hydraulic cams do. only thing id change if i were you would be the timing chain but thats a given since its right there when u change cams anyway. when checking piston to valve clearance you want at least .080 on the intake side and atleast .100 on teh exhaust side.