Filler Neck Grommet And Stealerships (kind Of A Rant)

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
Really just a rant here, and nothing really new, but in my mind this really takes the cake. Last week my GT's "Service Engine Soon" light came on and I'm not one to just ignore things like that if I can help it. One of my coworkers has a basic code scanner and he pulled the code for me...it turned out to be a P0456, Small Leak Detected. Today I decided to have it looked into a bit further by the dealership so I knew exactly what needs to be done. I only dropped it off there because it's like a 5 minute walk from my office. +1 for convenience at least.

Dropped it off as soon as they opened at 7:30. I just asked for the diagnostic and I'd go from there. A little after 12 the service writer calls and said that the fuel filler neck grommet needs to be replaced and that job alone would be $545. He also tried to sell me on getting the fuel injectors cleaned ($145...they've ALWAYS tried to sell me on that when I've gone in there) and a power steering fluid flush (also $145...but I think that's legit since I've only done that once). I declined any work at this time because I certainly don't have $500+ for a repair, especially since I just had my clutch all replaced last month.

I picked the car up and paid the $90 diagnostic service fee. No biggie. Then I get home and call the indie shop up the road and ask what they'd charge for the grommet replacement. The guy looked it up and said it'd be about $200 labor and however much the grommet costs (which I see isn't much).

Good lord. Now I really see why "stealerships" are named as such. I thought it was bad when the dealership wanted over $1200 to replace the intake manifold, and the same indie shop did the labor for $500 (which also included changing the spark plugs) and I got the part for about $250.

• Sponsors (?)

When I was working at Ford, our dealership was running $65/hr for labor. I believe last I checked they are somewhere in the neighborhood of $95/hr. The other place you see price gouging is in the parts dept. The same grommet that you can get from americanmuscle, or autozone for 20 bucks is like 40 at the dealership! I called them the other day because I needed to price a fuel pump for my 01 GT. They wanted $600 for the assembly!! I found a higher flow unit on americanmuscle.com for under $150.

I had a similar thing happen to me with my 03 Explorer 4.6L. The IAC went out on it. Two bolts and an electrical plug. I got a new one from O'Reilys (I don't recommend O'Reilys for anything electrical) and put it on. Still had issues. Replaced the TPS on a hunch, still no dice. We had to leave for a 1800 mile trek to Denver and back in a couple days, so I just took it in. Turned out the IAC O'Reilys sold me was junk. The dealership charged me $350, $180 of which was for the genuine IAC! TWO BOLTS and a SENSOR PLUG!!! Labor was almost half of the expense for something that I know only took 5 minutes.

I feel your pain! :)

Changing the grommet is pretty easy. I've had my tank on and off my GT more times than I care to remember. Just buy the grommet and do it yourself. Even the $200 your local shop quoted you is a bit much. With a lift, they can do it in less than an hour. Jack the rear up, drop it on stands, drop the tank a little, pull the filler neck out, replace the grommet, and button everything back up. Its pretty easy.