Final nail in the AOD Dominator coffin - or - why no one should buy from PATC

dodgestang

Dec 15, 2003
Cecil County, MD
AS some of you know I have had nothing but trouble with my AOD Dominator that I bought from PATC.

Well here is the final nail.....

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/AOD.htm

Item number 6 on their webpage....of upgrade items that they include in their AOD Dominators......their own intermediate shaft (which is what is now broken in my tranny and getting fixed)

So I start thinking to myself...ohhh cool....its their own part, they are a bunch of morons, so they made it wrong, a new hardened shaft will fix it and be ok. Call up my tranny guy..."hey that shaft that broke was supposed to be....." his response "no it wasn't...it was the same exact part I just ordered and installed...a hardened off the shelf AODe intermediate shaft." But how can that be!!!!!!!!!!!!! my transmission comes with this super special stuff.....well it didn't.

Up till now, the tranny has just been poor workmanship and poor customer service....the governer valve was bad from the factory, then it burnt out right after the warrantee expired (with about 400 miles on it since my motor was being rebuilt for 5 of those 6 months).....but now I have cold hard proof that they are a bunch of lying rip off artists. The claim to use upgraded hardparts in their transmission and DO NOT. Everyone on this forum should make sure to stay away from this manufacture unless they have an extra 6k to spend on a transmission and don't like to drive their car on nice sunny days.

• Sponsors (?)

performanceautomatic.com. Totally different company( PAracing) then the one you had your misfortune with. Should of used these guys instead. One of the best out there. PATC is not these guys by any means.

fastcoupe68 said:
performanceautomatic.com. Totally different company( PAracing) then the one you had your misfortune with. Should of used these guys instead. One of the best out there. PATC is not these guys by any means.

Yup, should add Art Carr to the "the list" of the real AOD builders.

skywalker said:
define irony:

someone posting a message saying to buy froma certain company
in reply to a message on the message board
saying not to buy from that company.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

skywalker said:
define irony:

someone posting a message saying to buy froma certain company
in reply to a message on the message board
saying not to buy from that company.

i knew the difference between the two companies when i posted my reply. patc has good information about building the AOD, the just dont seem to follow through on their own information. :D :D :D :D

GT2K said:
Yup, should add Art Carr to the "the list" of the real AOD builders.
Be very careful using Art Carr as well. Art Carr sold his name many years ago and closed his shop here in So. Cal.. There are at least 2 shops using the Art Carr name (1 in Reno, 1 in Texas). The quality is not the same as the original Art Carr stuff. I had major problems with a C4 I bought from the Reno shop. I had the original Art Carr do the 727 trans in my 68 Charger R/T and could never break it (600+ hp), so when I needed a C4 I sought them out. Big mistake. In addition to installing a bad valve body (and faking the test data) it took them 3 times before they sent me the proper bolts for the deep pan. First they sent me metric thread allen head bolts, then hex head (heads were too big to fit the cast alum pan). The real Art Carr can now be found here:

http://www.cpttransmission.com/