Finding Timing Marks On 1966 289

crowman

Nov 11, 2014
Hello, everyone. I have a 1966 coupe with a 289. I'm trying to turn the harmonic balancer so that I can see the timing marks. I can't get it to turn. I've been lifting the fan belt and trying to turn the fan by hand (how I've seen it described in books), but the fan and balancer won't budge. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any advice.

• Sponsors (?)

Hello, everyone. I have a 1966 coupe with a 289. I'm trying to turn the harmonic balancer so that I can see the timing marks. I can't get it to turn. I've been lifting the fan belt and trying to turn the fan by hand (how I've seen it described in books), but the fan and balancer won't budge. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any advice.
I found them!
I had to bump the starter. Now I've discovered the previous owner thoughtfully painted blue over the lines. I see 5 lines or so, and I can make out an "L" that is probably a "T" for TDC. Is there a good way to scrape the paint off so that the lines are readable?

The lines are stamped into the balancer ,the best way to mark them is with a white paint pen .sand the outside of the balancer where the lines are and they will show up a little better then mark them.
You can turn the balancer from the bolt inside the pulley with a breaker bar ,it is a 15/16 head . Make sure the key is off first .

if the timing marks are still visible, then clean the area thoroughly, and use some white paint to cover the cleaned area. then while the paint is still wet, use a rag to wipe the excess paint off the dampner ring. that should leave paint in the timing mark grooves that will show up when you hit it with the timing light.