First Mustang Build. Need Help!

Jayson Mesecar

Jul 13, 2016
I'm new to the forum so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
I'm currently in the works of putting together a mustang build. I'm looking for some guiding advice.
The basic rundown iv come up with so far.
I want to build a 302 that's direct injected to as close to 350hp as possible.
I want to put that 302 in a 95-99ish mustang.
I need some help on determining what I need to build that motor to 350hp. My budget for the emgine itself if 2500-3000 USD.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm new to the forum so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
I'm currently in the works of putting together a mustang build. I'm looking for some guiding advice.
The basic rundown iv come up with so far.
I want to build a 302 that's direct injected to as close to 350hp as possible.
I want to put that 302 in a 95-99ish mustang.
I need some help on determining what I need to build that motor to 350hp. My budget for the emgine itself if 2500-3000 USD.
You won't be able to build a direct injected 302.

Direct injection uses special injectors to inject fuel directly into the cylinder head that are fed by a cam-driven fuel pump that builds as much as 2500psi of pressure. There isn't a cylinder head out there for the 302 with the necessary ports, nor is there any kit to add a DI pump to one.

Direct Injection is awesome, but Ford had been slow on the uptake of the technology even on their latest engines (compared to Hyundai, Kia, Volkswagen, and others that DI their whole lineup) and the aftermarket hasn't yet, and likely never will begin offering retrofits to older designs like the 302 (which last saw production use in the Explorer/Mountaineer in 2000) due to the fact that it wouldn't be cost effective to design new cylinder heads for direct injection.

As far as making 350hp from a 302, that is easy. The throttle-body injected 302 in my Mustang II is there while still running iron heads. Car Craft magazine made 400hp from a 302 with the stock cam still in it (running AFR heads).

Last edited:
You won't be able to build a direct injected 302.

Direct injection uses special injectors to inject fuel directly into the cylinder head that are fed by a cam-driven fuel pump that builds as much as 2500psi of pressure. There isn't a cylinder head out there for the 302 with the necessary ports, nor is there any kit to add a DI pump to one.

Direct Injection is awesome, but Ford had been slow on the uptake of the technology even on their latest engines (compared to Hyundai, Kia, Volkswagen, and others that DI their whole lineup) and the aftermarket hasn't yet, and likely never will begin offering retrofits to older designs like the 302 (which last saw production use in the Explorer/Mountaineer in 2000) due to the fact that it wouldn't be cost effective to design new cylinder heads for direct injection.

As far as making 350hp from a 302, that is easy. The throttle-body injected 302 in my Mustang II is there while still running iron heads. Car Craft magazine made 400hp from a 302 with the stock cam still in it (running AFR heads).
How much cheddar did it take you to reach that in your mustang?

How much cheddar did it take you to reach that in your mustang?
What I basically have is this: http://mustangsandmore.com/ubb/BudgetSmallBlock.html but with ported heads, bigger valves, a better cam, roller rockers, and EFI.

Granted, Alex wrote that a number of years ago, so prices have gone up since then, and PAW is out of business, but you could still do the same basic build today relatively cheaply. If you want EFI, just add $2000-2500 to your budget if you want a bolt-on kit, or $300-1000 if you're resourceful and willing to hunt for a lot of specific parts at junkyards, swap meets, and Ebay. If you decide to go with one of the TBI kits, I'd say not to get the MSD Atomic EFI system that I have. Damned thing is too limiting and tempermental, it's like having a really fancy carburetor that cost 8 times as much as a good old Holley or Edelbrock. If I drive the car somewhat regularly, it calms down, "learns" what it needs to, and is pretty nice, but my Mustang isn't my daily driver and frequently sits for weeks at a time, and every time it does I have to use the throttle to start it and keep it going, just like with a carburetor.

If you're wanting an SN95 Mustang (94-98), you can get a factory EFI 302 car if you go '94 or '95. The only bad part about those is the factory computer. A '96-98 car would have either the 3.8L V6 or the 4.6L V8. In either case you'd have to find a 94-95 crossmember (or go aftermarket) to make a 302 fit, and good luck getting it smogged in states/counties that do that.

I found a kit from summit racing recommended in another thread that will fit my budget and work with a 95'. What is wrong with the factory comouter in these? And what would you suggest to correct its flaw

I found a kit from summit racing recommended in another thread that will fit my budget and work with a 95'. What is wrong with the factory comouter in these? And what would you suggest to correct its flaw
The '94 and '95 5.0L Computers don't play well with modifications. The fix is usually to find a '93 computer and harness, a custom dyno-tune, or a standalone ECU such as Megasquirt.