First Numbers For The Boostang!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38176
  • Start date
  • Sponsors (?)

My only guess (and I'm no dyno expert) is that the tires were slipping on the roller? :shrug:
I doubt that was the case. This is actually a very typical chassis dyno graph. Dynojets are typically known for having more erratic looking graphs that some of the other load bearing dynos. There are also smoothing functions that average the readings to provide smother slopes and make the graphs a little easier to read. Most dyno graphs without correction look like this and there is nothing wrong with it that I can see. I'm curious as to the dip in the graph and would be interested in seeing exactly what the converter was doing as far as slip % and lock up go.

This is a graph form on of our dyno pulls with my hooptie. With the smoothing on you can get a much more pleasant looking graph (This was actually used in RacePages magazine, hence the smoothing to make it easier for most people to use)
RP0514XB-15.jpg

Looks like one of the runs is with the converter unlocked, and the other with it locked.

Regardless, a graph really shouldn't be quite that rough. It's not horrible, but it should be fairly easy to smooth it out via tuning. Notice it already has a lot of smoothing on it (SAE 5). I don't know exactly what's causing it, but I'd guess the transfer function still needs some fine tuning, or the spark tables need some smoothing.

The graph is taking a beating on facebook. People are say the tune looks like :poo:. To be honest, he's kind of the only one in town and Im not too sure of his abilities.

Talked to my tuner. Apparently my slip is worse than I thought. Its pretty much slipping throughout the RPM band (causing the erratic lines) and slipping HUGELY up top (creating the dip). The 3" is coming off ASAP

He also said AFR's are solid and apologized for not adding it to the graph. Timing is around 15deg I believe.

If you're actually having belt slip, you've got a problem somewhere else. There's no reason you should have any trouble pushing 10 pounds of boost through stock heads and cams via a fairly efficient blower, especially not with an 8-rib setup. I'm running a 2.9" pulley pushing 13 pounds of boost on a 6-rib setup, with this much wrap:

DSC02144.jpg

And that's with an inefficient Eaton. 03/04 Cobra guys regularly push 16 pounds through 4-valve heads with the Eaton on an 8-rib setup. No reason an 8-rib Procharger only pushing 10 pounds of boost should have any issues with belt slip.

I think I would be getting a little nervous about the builder/tuner at this point. Sounds like you may need to look at trailer'ing the car to DFW or SA for a week and let a new shop take a stab at it before you need another motor.

If you're actually having belt slip, you've got a problem somewhere else. There's no reason you should have any trouble pushing 10 pounds of boost through stock heads and cams via a fairly efficient blower, especially not with an 8-rib setup. I'm running a 2.9" pulley pushing 13 pounds of boost on a 6-rib setup, with this much wrap:

And that's with an inefficient Eaton. 03/04 Cobra guys regularly push 16 pounds through 4-valve heads with the Eaton on an 8-rib setup. No reason an 8-rib Procharger only pushing 10 pounds of boost should have any issues with belt slip.

No 8-rib. Stock 6-rib w/ stock tensioner and a 3" pulley

3" pulley with a stock crank and stock-ish top end should see 16-17lbs.....we only saw 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
No 8-rib. Stock 6-rib w/ stock tensioner and a 3" pulley

3" pulley with a stock crank and stock-ish top end should see 16-17lbs.....we only saw 8.

Oh. I was just basing my assumption on this quote from earlier in the thread.

Ive been through hell and back with my car. The build has officially taken a year and 4 months. There have been so many issues that I've had to overcome.

I tried to dyno a while back (I made a thread about it) but I was slipping like a mofo. So I carbinite coated my pulley and got 1+ lb. I then decided to convert to 8-rib. Im running an 8-rib with a HUGE pulley. I saw a max of 10lbs, but my peak numbers actually came on a run seeing only 8psi.

I had some idea about how important belt grip was, but not this bad. Im going to swap out my crank for an 18% overdrive with a carbinite-coated 3.2 pulley. I should see around 18lbs

Regardless, you shouldn't have problems pushing 13+ pounds on a 6 rib. Did your tuner datalog the boost readings?

Yeah, that was the plan but my oil pump took a crap at the last second which ate into my budget a bit. I have a 3.25 and a 3.5 pulley. Would I see slip with the 3.25? I think the 3.25 is rated for 14lbs.

I just wanted to go big from the start and threw on the 3" which was bad idea. Boost readings were not datalogged, don't know why. I showed up around the tail end of the pulls so I wasn't able to keep on top of things. Boost was monitored via boost gauge and he said that it was all over the place. I'll ask for 1 pull and datalog AFR's and boost.

He also told me to remember that the dyno was set up for power vs. MPH and not the typical power vs. RPM. Power vs. MPH graphs are always a little rougher,

Not to break your balls but I posted a dyno graph earlier that is power over MPH in the same configuration as yours. What he is telling you in that regard is total BS.
As far as the slip goes, If you are having problems with a 3" pulley a 3.25 or even 3.5 isn't going to make the slip just magically vanish. There has to be something else going on here. Is it a manual tensioner or an automatic one? Is the belt configuration correct for your application? Some pictures of the setup, especially the belt routing may be beneficial.

Not to break your balls but I posted a dyno graph earlier that is power over MPH in the same configuration as yours. What he is telling you in that regard is total BS.

+1.

I can't think of any reason a tuner would want the power over speed instead of power vs. rpm. Every change in the tune you'd ever make, you do it at a certain rpm. So unless you want to back-convert to the rpm knowing your gearing numbers, the speed is pretty much useless as far as I'm concerned.

what belt are you running??

Not sure on the brand (since my builder provided it). I believe its just a 107" (or something close to that) off-the-shelf O'Reilly's belt

Oh, and other great news.....aside from the crazy belt slip, its misfiring. I almost feel like giving up lol. The thing still fkn hauls though!