Fitting Headers

Apruitt

Feb 4, 2016
Recently picked up a 1984 Mustang GLX Convertible. I also picked up some summit racing long tubes and am having clearance issues. On the driver side I've removed the steering column and the headers still are getting caught on the firewall and transmission. Any ideas on how to get them to fit?

• Sponsors (?)

Check to see if your motor mounts are worn. Is this a stick or AOD? Most of the time with LT headers you need to either loosen teh motor mounts, jack up the engine, remvoe the steering shaft etc.

Why do you need LT headers? What is the rest of the setup

Check to see if your motor mounts are worn. Is this a stick or AOD? Most of the time with LT headers you need to either loosen teh motor mounts, jack up the engine, remvoe the steering shaft etc.

Why do you need LT headers? What is the rest of the setup
It is an AOD, ill try and loosen the motor mounts and jack it up. I wanted a better sound so i went with long tubes and dual exhaust with flowmaster super 10's.

my experience tells me that 99% of the time longtube headers are to be installed from the bottom. Jack the car high enough and they should slide right in, that is of course if you have headers designed for your specific application, and yes, longtubes for an automatic are slightly different than those designed for a manual foxbody. The automatic version will fit on a manual car, but not vice versa due to the auto being wider