Five-lug conversion for '65 I6?

schoonover_88

Jan 1, 2004
Hello! I have recently decided to pick up on my classic mustang project once again, and although it's not the first thing on my list, there is one thing driving me crazy! It's the fact that my car only has four-lugs. My question: is there any such kit that I can use to convert my car over to five-lugs, or do I have to scavange off of other cars? Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure about the spindles, but in the fron this should be a matter of changing your discs and drums out for their 5 lug counter parts. In the rear it is a little more tricky: 5 lug axle shafts. These can be mos easily had off of other cars, but you might check with autozone and advance auto and the like. They may be able to aquire some for you.

If you're doing a complete restoration though, I don't think a lug conversion is really the way to go unless you're not the "stock as a rock" type (I'm not.)

Get a rear end and front suspension (spindles out) from a 74-77 maverick or comet 75-80 granada, 77-79 Lincoln versailles.

These cars use the same type of suspension and all the stuf bolts on. Up front, you will have to change the steering linkage to one from a V8 stang, other than that, it is bolt in. The Lincoln Versailles rear is a 9" with discs and that will require a little fabrication (brake lines).

All the others have 8" rears and are a direct bolt in. Be sure to grab the prop valve from whatever car you get the stuff from.

Steve

Stang89LXCPE said:
Get a rear end and front suspension (spindles out) from a 74-77 maverick or comet 75-80 granada, 77-79 Lincoln versailles.

These cars use the same type of suspension and all the stuf bolts on. Up front, you will have to change the steering linkage to one from a V8 stang, other than that, it is bolt in. The Lincoln Versailles rear is a 9" with discs and that will require a little fabrication (brake lines).

All the others have 8" rears and are a direct bolt in. Be sure to grab the prop valve from whatever car you get the stuff from.

Steve

except for the versailes, what steve said goes. the versailles used a different balljoint than the granada did. also the 9" is too heavy for a 6 cylinder car, so go with an 8" rear. if you want disc brakes on the rear there are plenty of aftermarket kits available.

rbohm said:
...... also the 9" is too heavy for a 6 cylinder car, so go with an 8" rear. if you want disc brakes on the rear there are plenty of aftermarket kits available.

How light is the 8"??? Is there really that much difference from the 9"? I can understand wanting to not overload a car being pulled around by a 39-year-old 200 cid six, would the strength/longevity of the 9" really be overshadowed by it's extra weight?

Still Dreamin'

Thanks a lot for the info guys, it has really helped me out. One thing I need cleared up is will I have to buy an entire rear end? I would really rather not if possible. Also, I will have to get the V8 steering linkage correct? Please clear this up for me. Thanks!